What makes it special to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of getting a cheesey and very expensive wedding photographer hand out disposable film cameras to each of your guests. Put a label where they can write their name on the camera so that you know who took the shots. You wedding album will be a whole lot more personal.

Oh, ...I love this stuff. Have you seen those really cool plain glass bowls with a shell or a single magnolia or some beautiful bloom floating? It is very elegant but low enough to see over. A fragrant flower is nice.

activities are okay....I like when my time is not planned too much.

Less planning and more down time together is best in my view.

You should give a photo gift of some kind, something you could do in advance for guests, it would be very personal. You know what I like from Mexico are those hammered silver metal frames. (they are some other metal). Cozumel has some very cool pottery items. I collect butter dishes so I added to my collection there.

Make sure you two get a picture in one of those huge fancy macrame looking Mexican hammocks! ...with the long fringe.

One photo idea, if you all go on a boat, composition wise, is to put the photog in the water and have everyone come to the bow and wave. Have you seen those? Nice group shot, from an interesting perspective.

When I think back on the weddings I have most enjoyed attending, it has been the music and the dancing. I can't remember what I ate, and mostly don't remember who was there (except at my own). But I can tell you who I danced with, and what kind of band was there or recorded music was played. One of the most enjoyable weddings I ever attended was one where the father of the bride was an accomplished ballroom dancer, and I spent a large part of the evening tangoing with him. Fun!

OE2X:
Instead of getting a cheesey and very expensive wedding photographer hand out disposable film cameras to each of your guests. Put a label where they can write their name on the camera so that you know who took the shots. You wedding album will be a whole lot more personal.
We sell the little wedding cameras (as well as a full line of wedding supplies and invitations, etc) ... and we do recommend them... But in all seriousness, from what most people tell us, maybe you'll get a 5% good photo percentage. Most of the photos from those cameras are crappy, and they all use 800 ASA film.

Our photographer didn't take the "cheesy" photos... we were quite specific in what we wanted.

catherine96821:
Have you seen those really cool plain glass bowls with a shell or a single magnolia or some beautiful bloom floating? It is very elegant but low enough to see over. A fragrant flower is nice.

My sister had centerpieces like those at her wedding - a large shallow crystal bowl, with gardenias and candles floating in it.

Her wedding was a semi destination wedding at the Kea Lani in Maui - it was gorgeous, if I do say so myself (since I helped plan it). :wink:

After the ceremony, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres served in a patio area with a beautiful fountain and a string quartet playing while the sun set. The reception was outdoors on a lawn, with the surrounding palm trees done up in white twinkly lights.

Since it was a relatively small gathering - about 80 people, it was less like a regular wedding reception and more like a really nice dinner party with family and friends.

The next morning the ones that were not sleeping off the effects of the night prior went to brunch - then some went golfing while the rest of us sat around the pool in some cabanas for the rest of the afternoon.

howarde:
We sell the little wedding cameras (as well as a full line of wedding supplies and invitations, etc) ... and we do recommend them... But in all seriousness, from what most people tell us, maybe you'll get a 5% good photo percentage. Most of the photos from those cameras are crappy, and they all use 800 ASA film.

Our photographer didn't take the "cheesy" photos... we were quite specific in what we wanted.
Well those that can - do. Those that can't become wedding photographers.:D:D

Unfortunately many WP's are very expensive and do really shlocky photos. The best thing to look for is a fashion photog to do the work. They are used to making the people and clothes look good. That said there are some couples who think of themselves as models yet no amount of photoshopping will improve their looks. When they get their photos they are shocked that the tux and expensive wedding dress hasn't turned them into the prince and princess that they saw in the mirror before their nuptuals.

Howard - you and your wife were an exception here.

That said my ex wedding album was composed of a variety of peoples photos. It made it all the more personal knowing that my mother, uncle, sister etc... took each shot. Perfect photos? No of course not, but we were hardly the perfect couple. Had I paid a WP $5,000. I would have been sorely disappointed.

FWIW - here is a shot that I took of friends of mine with a small little camera with 200 ASA film. Granted since I'm a photographer (not weddings) by trade the results might be slightly different.

TSandM:
When I think back on the weddings I have most enjoyed attending, it has been the music and the dancing. I can't remember what I ate, and mostly don't remember who was there (except at my own). But I can tell you who I danced with, and what kind of band was there or recorded music was played. One of the most enjoyable weddings I ever attended was one where the father of the bride was an accomplished ballroom dancer, and I spent a large part of the evening tangoing with him. Fun!

I agree with TsandM. A great band is key. A great one will have everyone up and moving, without the guests having to be drunk.

The last wedding I went to had lovely centerpieces. The bride made sure I took one home....I really could have done without it and in the future I won't even remember it. Flowers are terribly expensive and after a bit people don't remember what flowers were there. Have your reception at a place with some character so there is no need for loads of wasted decorations.

Definitely take the photos early. That always seems to make things run smoother IMO.

Oh, one more thing I don't think most people want the new couple spending money on them. The gifts I have recieved ended up at the bottom of my purse. Well one was a little tea thing so I had a cup of tea, it wasn't that memorable. I'd skip the token gifts. Maybe a picture sent to them later down the road, when you are sending thank you cards.

Also about the 5% thing...
Generally speaking that is the ratio that I work on anyway as a pro. I consider that if I get one exquisite photo per roll (36 exposures) that I'm doing well. Once in a while the ratio soars, but the average is still about the same.
If you hand out 50 of these little cameras and they have 24 exposures in each, you will get 1200 pictures. That means that your album will have 50 worthwhile shots. That's a lot of images...

Most people..women in particular plan a wedding not a marriage. All this hoopla and when its all over with you find out very soon that you made a mistake.....

If you must get married, go to Vegas or better yet Bonaire and get married underwater.

Back
Top Bottom