What makes a good dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What makes good dive boat. Tell me what you like and what you don't like.

Don't like:

Hungover Captains that fall asleep in 6' swells. (I have experienced this, and its ugly)

Captains that know absolutely nothing about diving. (but will give you incorrect advice and point you in the direction of death and destruction)

Rental fish boat Captains (used by some scuba stores), that do not know or care how to properly rig dive lines.

Boats that break easily and frequently

Divers viewed as cattle (move it, move it, move it, move it, next, next, next, next, no questions allowed, keep it moving)

Like:

Skillful boat captains that can spin a 35 foot boat on a dime and put a dive ladder in your hands in a skinny minute

Pleasant and helpful dive cons that care about being the best they can be.

The only thing I can think to add that has not already been mentioned would be a davit with a block and tackle or a come along to lift whatever items the divers might bring up with lift bags.

My dream boat would have:

- Gyros
- Drystacks or some other exhaust system that keeps diesel fumes away when moving slow or parked with the genset running

The rolling motion is fine, but the fumes get me puking nearly every time. :p

Back
Top Bottom