What makes a good dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ladders with steps of stainless tubing or pipe are miserable on the feet, given the added weight of gear on one's back. How about nice flat steps on the ladder?

Yes, that's true. Rounded ladders hurt the feet when fully kitted, even with boots on. Ladders that are fins on or off so the diver can choose are good if using a ladder at all.

Don't know about the US but I can't remember the last time I saw a boat with a prop guard. I jump off hardboats or backward roll off RIBs without a moments thought because the skipper or cox'n would have to be a drooling incompetent to have to the prop engaged when deploying or retrieving divers. The Loyal Watcher video linked to in post #33 shows how a hardboat comes alongside a diver. Good skippers don't need you to fin more than a handful of strokes to reach the ladder or lift.

Ive dived with the drooling incompetant.......

One that consumes less diesel.

Pic related, the owner's dive boat.

aaftg5.jpg
aaft9.jpg

Sorry for the small pictures.

The Coast Guard has gotten called on him many times, people thinking the boat was on fire. They've learned : "Black smoke in the harbor? Better call Bob and see if he just started the tug."

The nice part though is that the swim platform and ladder is all welded plate / tube steel.

NE wreck boat? A good system for securing standing steel doubles in a way that you won't have any 100+lb missiles crashing across the deck, regardless of whether they're the 7.25" or 8" flavor. Bonus points if there's space near the entrances to secure the wide vareity of stage/deco bottles one would rather clip on there than have to walk around with it.

Maybe this deserves a separate post, but has anyone seen a really good tank rack system that works for different size singles, doubles, and rebreathers? So far, the best I have seen is pretty poor. Every time I try to imagine a great one the cost to produce gets insane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom