What makes a dive something to log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuznbrad

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diver that just got my OW earlier this month. Was wondering what exactly makes a dive or better yet, what makes the cut on something to actually log into the book. A buddy of mine is going for his MD and wants me to help him on some skills in the pool (its 12' deep). Is this something that I should even concider to log in my book? Or is it not even deep enough to count as an actual dive?

PADI standards for training dives are the same as NAUI- 20 min at a minimum depth of 15 ft- in open water. Pools and aquariums do not qualify for that. Lakes and quarries do though.
As long as an open water dive meets those criteria it goes in my book.
PADI #235455

I also log some dive that don't fit the " minimum of 20 minutes to a depth of at
least 15 feet in open water" for my own record if it is interesting (rescue drills, clean up...) but I don't add it the the total number of dive.

It's your log, created so you can record information you deem important. Log whatever you want but be honest with yourself.

For me, I only log ocean dives. I have never logged any lake or quarry dives, but then again, I've never dived in a lake or quarry!

a dive that will be navigated better by logging the coordinates or topography

like diagramming the interior of a wreck, etc.

a schematic to plan wildlife encounters in current, like hiding behind a sea mound to spot schooling hammerheads, etc.

I rely on my Suunto for anything ordinary that does not require planning or logistics to optimize for the next time...

visual line-ups are good to log in case your gps fails.

The definitions of 20 minutes, etc. are for training standards.

For a recreational diver - I would think the following 3 criteria are all thats needed:
1. Descent
2. Ascent
3. Desire to record the dive in the log book

-----------------------
If you want to record a pool dive - do it. Its your log book and your decision.
If you are in some kind of training scenario - the dive probably won't count as a dive for training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom