What makes a dive bag a "dive bag?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What makes a dive bag a "dive bag?" Is there anything special about them that would make them different from roller bags else where?

Price-Tag.jpg

Do they have rust proof zippers that would get splashed on a liveaboard and still not rust?

Dude, if your luggage is getting "splashed" on a liveaboard... you're having a REALLY bad day, and rusty zippers are the least of your worries.

DSC_01112.jpg

attachment.php

eric%20aground_600x450.jpg

070705cq1.jpg

Many generic (that is, non-dive-specific) roller bags are too short to accommodate average-length fins.

The reason is most are designed to meet airline size restrictions which specify a maximum 22" inch length for a carry-on bag.

Oh, yeah... one more.

7) Dry bag - I have a small one of these for carrying my wallet, phone, keys, etc.... not that I really need the waterproof feature for the boats that I dive from, but I guess if I dropped it overboard it would be nice for it to float and keep everything dry. I'm not sure who needs the big dry bags - I guess if you are diving from an inflatable skiff or a kayak, but you have a formal dinner to go to afterwards and you don't have time to go back to the hotel to change into your tux.

More likely designed for people who do portage trips over water which involve rafting, canoeing, etc... and have all their gear for the week in them.

What makes a Dive Bag? I really use two different bags. There are my Luggage bags, those that usually get checked if I'm checking a bag, these can be my Pelican 1650s or a big duffle. Are they dive bags? Only when I'm taking them on a dive trip. I also tip a porter or spend the $2 in the airport to rent a cart because these bags typically push up against the limits of 70lbs and after 35 years of traveling, I'm tired of broken wheels. The pelican cases are extremely rugged but they're heavy empty at about 17lbs each. I have always used a mesh bag to get from the resort to the dive boat or beach. They only weigh about 2lbs empty and the one you make will last for years.

Is it perfect? No.

If it was perfect it would be 2x bigger on the inside then it is on the outside and it would have an anti-gravity unit that makes it neutral buoyant in air. But I guess if I had that bag, I would be able to "beam" to my destination. Never could figure out why the Star Trek crew didn't just beam everywhere. "Scotty, beam me to the bathroom, I gotta pee"

Price-Tag.jpg

Dude, if your luggage is getting "splashed" on a liveaboard... you're having a REALLY bad day, and rusty zippers are the least of your worries.

DSC_01112.jpg

attachment.php

eric%20aground_600x450.jpg

070705cq1.jpg

Nice pics. Did they ever fix this boat or no? I was wondering if it is the same boat that is running Galapagos trips for them?

UOTE=RJP;6997364]
Price-Tag.jpg

I don't agree that its just price. Price is a component of VALUE. RJP pick one a $170 no name regulator that you get on-line or a $1800 titanium regulator. It will be the only regulator you can ever use. Both deliver air from a bottle. Both will get you underwater.

Bags are the same. If all you want is something to hold your stuff, you can buy a box of heavy duty trash compactor bags and use a tie wrap and duct tape. Total cost $1. On the other end of the spectrum, You can spend $900 on a duffle bag (google search: Brics Life Pelle 22" Duffel).

The examples are endless. The Balvenie 50 year old scotch vs. Dewars They're both just booze.

Back
Top Bottom