What length "Long Hose" for Single Tank w/ Pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My primary comes of the 1st stage under the right arm, across the chest, over the left shoulder, around the neck ("yikes!")and into my mouth. It works pretty good for me, but it does feel a little stiff while out of the water. I reluctantly added an Omniswivel and I'll see how that goes this weekend.

That sounds right, although I'm skeptical about the Omniswivel. I have a fixed 70 degree adapter on my recreational rig with the 5' hose. It doesn't tug anyplace, but I'm not that large.

For me the 5ft hose routed in the semi-hogarthian way works perfectly, but for larger divers a little more length might be better, maybe 5ft 6". Unfortunately that's a custom length. A good way to determine the perfect recreational long hose length is to buy an inexpensive hose coupler and then experiment combining hoses of different lengths.

The 7ft hose is really for single file air sharing in restrictions, and to me is quite cumbersome without a canister light. I use one on my doubles with the can light, but almost never with a single tank.

If you are using a long hose on your main supply and it is 5 to 7 feet such that it wraps around your body and if it is the air supply you intend to donate then it MUST lay over the shorter hose which is apparently necklaced and will be the one you switch to. Otherwise the hoses will become fouled.

Another way is to put your main supply on a 24/26 inch hose over your shoulder (or a 36/40 under your shoulder) and then put the pony on the long hose and wrap it (5 to 7 feet) around your body as is typical but of course on top of the short hose from the main supply, again to prevent fouling of hoses during a donation.

Another is to use a 24 to 40 inch hose, over or under the shoulder on the main and then use a 40 inch, looped under an elastic band, on the pony. You donate the pony (actually in this configuration you ca donate either). In this way the hoses cannot normally cross one another during deployment.

And, just to say it, despite what some may do, if diving a double hose regulator, you cannot use a long hose of 5 to 7 feet wrapped around your body in standard fashion but as the OOA supply to be handed off because it will foul on the hoses from the double hose primary regulator.

N

I now use a 40 inch hose routed from 1st stage, under right arm to mouth with a 90 degree elbow. Longer then the traditional 28 to 30 inch length but not as cumbersome as the long hose 5 to 7 foot configuration. Has worked well so far.
I use the same setup... works for me.

For a while I used scissors/shears in a pouch on my harness waist belt to capture a 7ft long hose. You need a cutting device in any case.

The OP doesn't say if he uses a wing or a BCD, with a BCD it is generally harder using a hog loop due to the pockets.

Aside from the hoses, can I ask you to have a good think about leaving off an octo on your main cylinder, especially if you use the pony for redundant buoyancy. Doing this means that the MOST gas available to someone is the pony, which basically means you ought not to donate the pony as the OOA diver will suck it down very quickly, so now you need to donate your primary. That is ok so long as everyone expects it but that is not the typical 'secondary take' system of recreational diving.

Another approach is to keep a primary and octo on the main cylinder as normal then have the pony as redundancy for yourself. If a panicing OOA diver is sucking your main cylinder down you get onto the pony and up you go, if not panicing you stay on your main primary, The main cylinder will have more gas than the pony at all points of a correctly planned dive going normally.

Although people will say that a 7ft hose is for single file exits, which is true, it is also very nice for open water ascents. The diver taking the air can do the ascent almost exactly as if they had no issue and everything can be calm. Having said that the storage of a long hose needs to be demonstrated, especially to avoid tangling it with a necklaced backup regulator.

Although people will say that a 7ft hose is for single file exits, which is true, it is also very nice for open water ascents. The diver taking the air can do the ascent almost exactly as if they had no issue and everything can be calm.

Assuming the OOA diver has their wits about them, which can be a pretty big "if".

Having said that the storage of a long hose needs to be demonstrated, especially to avoid tangling it with a necklaced backup regulator.

That's what the modified S-drill is designed to sort out, at the beginning of every dive. Hopefully the OP would learn that as part of how to route the long hose.

Back
Top Bottom