What kind of rope/twine/bungee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hover-Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey everyone,

I just got a new IST Dive light and was looking at how to attach it to my gear, and had a few questions.

It's got a little 'keyring' like metal loop on it that the included wrist strap is attached to, but I'm a little skeptical of the wrist strap and how good it is. With that said, I'd like to be able to attach the light via a carabiner or something similar (swivel bolt, etc), but the little metal loop isn't really big enough for something like that to thread through.

So really, my main question is, what kind of line/twine/rope/bungee is good for making your own self fasteners? Nylon rope because you can melt the ends together seems like a good idea to me...what do you think?

Thanks!

I use twisted nylon rope because it is easy to splice an eye (that would be a loop) in it. Typically I splice the eye through the hole in the accessory (your light in this case) and through the closed loop of a snap clip/snap schakle, and then I splice an eye just big enough th pass the accessory through on the other end of the line. The line (lanyard) should be about arms length.

To use the lanyard, you slip the big eye through a D-ring on your gear and then thread the accessory through the big eye, then pull tight. The item should be dangling on the lanyard like a luggage tag on the D-ring.

When not in use, clip the accessory to the same (or any open) D-ring during your dive, entry or exit and it will not be dangling in the sand/coral/on your foot.

Is that the re-engineered IST light from Packhorse? Just got mine as well. I don't use a lanyard on lights, just a clip instead.

ISTclip2.jpg

The ring on a swivel-mounted bolt snap will go onto that small split ring, but you could remove it and go tied, as many technical and DIR divers do. Cave or wreck line is great--braided is better than three-strand, but either will do. Some divers use zipties instead. Whatever you use, check its condition frequently. Line frays, zipties get brittle.

Links to good knots and tying tips are available in the DIR forum if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

Great photo there. Yes, thats the one I have, but no it's not the modified light from Packhorse. I'm thinking I'll send it to him when money will allow to modify :)

I didn't realize one of those swivel bolts would go through that little eye. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

O-rings can also be used to connect items. I keep a few (from the hardware store) handy in a range of sizes (up to 2" diameter). Same drill--pass it though the eye, pull a bight back over the standing part, then pull snug. And remember to check them periodically as they will get fragile with age.

-Bryan

Be sure to glue the little metal eye in: they can come out.

I have the packhorse IST as well and have a similar set up as Byran: ziptie a clip on.

That's it! Make sure you use stainless steel not brass. :D

And why is that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom