What kind of Moray is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadrewvideo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Monday night @ Kewalo pipe, I shot video of what appears to be a Moray that I have not seen before. Could be a whitemargin or purhaps it is a juvinal of a more well known species. If anyone knows please let me know.
BTW, It does not have sharp canine teeth and this one was about 30" long.
I have tried to attach thew picture, but also have the picture located here
ScubaDrew

Attachments

• kpipe21207eel.JPG
    kpipe21207eel.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 132
I see then on the north shore from time to time....Conger moray? I dont have my ID book here.

Wildcard I think the Moustache Conger looks very close but I’m not seeing its identifying lip fold. Hoover’s says they are plain brown by day and more commonly seen at night. When was this seen? Do you have any other photos?

The Yellowhead Moray mouth shape seems to match the photo better. Although also more of a nocturnal, I felt comfortable identifying several day sightings here. The head was a vivid yellow and the banding very prominent.

I don’t see the Whitemargin a possibility.

redrover:
Wildcard I think the Moustache Conger looks very close but I’m not seeing its identifying lip fold. Hoover’s says they are plain brown by day and more commonly seen at night. When was this seen? Do you have any other photos?

The Yellowhead Moray mouth shape seems to match the photo better. Although also more of a nocturnal, I felt comfortable identifying several day sightings here. The head was a vivid yellow and the banding very prominent.

I don’t see the Whitemargin a possibility.

I thought juvi yellowhead at first, but again, the teeth are not that of a yellowhead.
Definitly NOT a conger.
I can pull some more shots from the video to get different views.
Thanks for the input!!!
keep in mind, I dive Oahu almost everyday so if I havent filmed it before then it is not going to be a commonly seen species unless its a juvi or a morph.

Two thoughts then.
Aquarium release?
More distant territory? I’ve seen some things here (BI) that are supposed to only stray to Hawaiian Islands.

If it was my shot and deferring to your expertise, I would ask John Hoover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom