What kind of log book do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USFbravis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am in the process of getting my OW cert. and with the class book came a small cheap-looking log book. Now I plan to dive often and for the rest of my life and I don't want multiple dive books in the future. Nor do I want a cheap log book that will show wear and tear after about 5 dives. What kind of log book do you use?

I keep it all in an Excel file I worked up and print the pages. They go in to page protectors in a zip-up (Wal-Mart) binder that also includes lots of dive site references like a Critter ID book, site guides, emergency procedures, cylinder buoyancy charts and so forth.

When an instructor wanted to evaluate me for an upcoming class I just emailed him a copy of my log.

There is no real need to be locked into some pre-printed format nor are signatures a big deal. there are a tons of threads in the from on what to include, what to log and how to store it all.

Pete

My written log is in a leather bound sketch book that I got at an art supply store. It's very nice looking and I can write my dives up in the format of my choosing. I can also sketch or watercolor on the pages if the mood strikes.

My first logbook also came with my OW class and it was good for the first 100 dives. I just take a good care of mine and it still looks brand new. Then I've decided to design my own according to my own specific needs. A couple of friends of mine also use my logbooks. They seem to like them.

This is what it looks like - check the photos: pic1 pic2

I use the dive log book from Trident (I think). It zips and is a 3-ringed binder. As it fills, I remove the older logs. I have fish id cards, business cards, pens, maps in it.

There is also the website where you can design your own logs:
Dive-Logs.com - Great dive logs for scuba divers that are quick and easy to use.

You really don't need people to sign your dive log, but I like to have them sign it as it just creates additional memories.

I don't keep a dead tree edition anymore. My logs exist on three different computers, two backup hard drives, and my Treo cellphone, however, so there is no fear of losing any data (and the last 100 dives are on my dive computer, too, if that counts for anything). Anything big enough to take out all of that redundancy probably took me out, too.

I'll print a summary from my computer anytime someone wants to verify something and handing them my Treo to glance over isn't sufficient.

At some point I'll probably print up a pretty one with fancy formatting and graphs, just for show, but it's pretty low on my priority list. And I'm certainly not going to lug it around with me... I have to too much stuff to bring as it is!

I use the cheap log book that came with my OW class. It's in a small 3-ring binder with filler pages in behind it. I got certified in 2002 and it's doing fine. I keep it away from wet stuff, though, if at all possible! Justleesa gave me a thick dive pouch to keep it in- thank you, sweetie!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom