What kind of dragonet, in Veracruz, Gulf of Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itziar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have recently found specimens like this at about 15-20m depth on areas of sand mixed with coral rubble, inside the reefs of Veracruz (Mexico). I am at odds with the identification.

They do not have any blue dots or markings on the body, which, according to the ReefNet DVD would be an ID marking for Lancer Dragonet (Paradiplogrammus bairdi), although these blue markings are not mentioned in the REEF Fish ID book by Humann & DeLoach. The general tan-white mottled background and the orange first dorsal fin would indicate Spotted Dragonets (Diplogrammus pauciradiatus), as the ReefNet DVD suggests, but these specimens lack the fleshy keel, which is present in all photographs of Spotted Dragonet of the ReefNet series, and also an ID marking according to this material.

I have seen 3 of these, two with orange dorsal fins and one with a black dorsal fin (an orange and the black were a pair), all of them without keels or blue markings.

So what do you think, are they Lancer or Spotted Dragonets, or are they some other species?

Are blue markings always present in Lancer Dragonets? Are fleshy keels always present in Spotted Dragonets?

The only other dragonets I have seen was while diving in the Keys, and they definitely had blue markings all over.

Photos by David Hughes, La Poza, Isla Verde, Veracruz, 5/8/2011.

Cheers,

Itziar

sm_dragon_spine.jpgsm_dragon.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the time that's passed without an answer from anyone. When you originally posted, my feeling was that it could only be a Lancer because of that dorsal banner. But, due to your post, which planted the seeds of doubt, I wasn't convinced that the ID could be that easy. So I went diving to hunt dragonets -- a crazy thing to do because they're so rare, tiny and masters at matching the local substrates -- ours are basically white on white. Armed with latest sightings, viewed through a magnifying glass, I'm sticking with Lancer.

Hope someone else chimes in!

Wow! That is a quality answer! Thanks for the thorough investigation on your local Lancers, Deborah. I know these are difficult to spot, and so I appreciate every single clue. I got a reply too in the REEF ID forum and that was also favoring Lancers: What kind of dragonet, in Veracruz, Gulf of Mexico? | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)

The lesson learned is that the blue markings are not always present. I did torture my little friend with my torch (not as good viz as in Coz) in search of those… poor thing…

Wow! That is a quality answer! Thanks for the thorough investigation on your local Lancers, Deborah. I know these are difficult to spot, and so I appreciate every single clue. I got a reply too in the REEF ID forum and that was also favoring Lancers: What kind of dragonet, in Veracruz, Gulf of Mexico? | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)

The lesson learned is that the blue markings are not always present. I did torture my little friend with my torch (not as good viz as in Coz) in search of those… poor thing…
I think lancer because the main difference is the spotted have the long spines in their dorsal fins. Yours seems to have the smaller sail like dorsal fin. I am about to do a five hour drive to hunt for these. If I find them, I'll try to show you photos of a spotted dragonet. I have many of lancers. If you look on my Facebook page you'll see a few. I'm not sure how to post here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom