what kind of diver are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, I start to think about getting out of my board shorts and rashie and putting on my 2 mil shortie at 25C.

Dry suits are for the days when you need a chain saw to get in the water.

I never actually dove jacket bcd's since my mother gifted me a wing and doubles when I started. So i've been having this weird thing that I might want to try a jacket bcd, just cause you know... Why not...I also bought an ots guardian on ebay yesterday...why? No idea, just to see how it dives I guess.

Nice Mom... is she adopting?

Dry suits are for the days when you need a chain saw to get in the water.

During my ice diving days, we used 1/4" (7 mil) wetsuits. Good times....

Are the rules different during Covid regarding whether boats can cross the border in the St Lawrence? If no closed border can any boat go anywhere in the river as long as they don't land in the other country?

Boats can go anywhere on their side of the border before or during Covid. If they get too close to the other side, the Coast Guard will likely pay a visit.

Before the Covid border closure, Canadian boats were supposed to be cleared by customs at Boldt Castle, then they would be on their way. Dive shops/leaders would submit the manifest to US Homeland Security, which included the personal information of each diver as well as their passport or Nexus #, at least 24 hours in advance. When arriving at Boldt castle, a customs agent would give permission for everyone to stand on the dock, and would look at each person and their passport, and might ask some passengers some questions. Then off we went.

Returning to Canada was much simpler, with the boat returning to their regular dock, and the Captain getting clearance from Canadian customs over the radio before anyone could disembark. Only if there was a misunderstanding would customs agents come over and board the boat, until they were satisfied everyone was Canadian or had appropriate papers.

The paperwork was a bit of work to dive across the border, but it usually went smoothly. Hopefully the border will reopen this spring.

Dry suits are for the all those days when you need a chain saw to get in the water the water temp is below 15C .
FTFY

do you consider yourself a vacation diver only?

No. I almost never dive on vacations. Instead I dive on weekends. Search and recovery diving and inspection diving are most interesting! Exploratory sump diving (team solo, no fins, no bcd) is exciting too, whenever I have the chance to do it.

I won't dive anywhere I can't wear only board shorts and it's just as warm in the water as out of the water. I only dive in 80 foot or better visibility and I basically want it to look like I am diving in an aquarium. I have no desire to go deeper than 80 feet and no desire to learn any other style of diving. Vacations only and mainly the Caribbean.

Fun question.

I'm a vacation style diver since there is nothing worthwhile near me. Have a little over 30 dives and AOW + nitrox.

While I like diving in exotic locations, I also find diving to be incompatible with a lot of vacation stuff: less drinking, early morning wake-ups, required surface decompression before driving/flying again, and being careful with spicy food :)

My likes/dislikes so far:
- Not a fan of cold water. Even in a 7mm I get cold fast
- Still a bit anxious when prepping to dive
- I really need a site to have large animals or amazing features to be worthwhile. Many of the mediocre dives I find to be an expensive waste of time and money. Bleached coral/gray colors and minimal fish = not worth it.
- Did my first wreck, and was surprised how cool I thought it was. Never had much interest in wrecks before. (Kittiwake, Grand Cayman)
- Still not that comfortable with deep water. I've been down to ~ 90-100ft, but it feels when diving non-tech, even with nitrox, there is considerable more risk added at these depths compared to 60ft and above. Really has to be a good site for me to consider it now. Also I strongly consider if a chamber is nearby as a bailout as needed.
- Mixed on night dives. They are super cool, but I'm a little anxious on them since I feel quite disoriented.
- I don't trust any dive buddy. This is probably because I travel solo and have had mostly insta-buddies, but nearly 100% of them don't stick nearby, get lost using a camera, and are worthless in general.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom