What kind of cutting tool do you have and where do you mount it?

How do you mount your cutting tools? What kind and where?

• On wrist

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • On dive computer

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • on waist belt

Votes: 68 47.6%
  • on shoulder strap

Votes: 46 32.2%
  • in pocket

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost my knife during a dive. Fortunately one of my dive buddies found it on a sandy bottom as the shiny blade reflecting the sun light. Since then, I tether its handle on to its holster to make sure I won't lose it again.

image.jpeg

Several types, EZ line cutter, a knife and shears, all mounted on different locations on the webbing around my waist.
I used to keep a Ramora mounted on my inflator hose too, but these days I carry my regs on flights, and TSA frowns on such a blade in carry-on.

This isn't the best picture in the world and if I remember, I will take a picture when I get home and post it, but you can get a sense. I slide the wrist strap through the trilobite sheath (some don't come with a threadable sheath, so you need to get the one that does). This is very old pic in Cozumel with my Aeris Elite T3 dive computer. I now have a Shearwater Perdix on the left wrist and still run the straps through the Trilobite sheath. Aeris Elite T3 is now on right wrist as backup. I do a lot of kelp diving and I like having the cutter on my wrist for easy and quick access. I also carry a more traditional foldable titanium knife in a sheath that threads through my waist strap on my BP/W on the right side. I prefer to have a redundant cutting device after a diving death here in Tacoma, Wa some years ago when an Instructor got tangled up in some fishing line and pulled out her cutter to free herself, but accidentally dropped her cutter and couldn't reach it and had no other means to extract herself and ran out of air and drowned.
View attachment 511659

Thanks Trailboss, that's actually a lot simpler than I had imagined! I really like that idea!

I have an Aqualung squeeze knife on my waistband pocket and a Trilobite on my shoulder strap at chest height. Honestly my knife doesn't get a lot of use UW, but I'm a knife guy so it goes with me anyways. The Trilobite gets a lot of use clearing bits of rope or fishing line from reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom