What kind of cutting tool do you have and where do you mount it?

How do you mount your cutting tools? What kind and where?

• On wrist

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • On dive computer

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • on waist belt

Votes: 68 47.6%
  • on shoulder strap

Votes: 46 32.2%
  • in pocket

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@scrane do the snips need two hands to remove from tubing, or slide out easily underwater? I just bought OMS brand shears that I have not decided how to mount and your idea sounds like a good one.

Hi.
I have tied a piece of 1/2" ID hose, the kind you siphon gas with, to wing side of my BP, to the holes that run up and down on the outside edge of my BP. The hose is about 4" long, and when I push the scissors into it they are held by friction. I have the hose positioned such that the shears do not extend beyond the bottom of the BP, but the large thumb hole does protrude slightly to the side where I can hook my thumb in it and push them downward. Just a one hand operation.
I usually dive in protected areas where I don't run into much fishing line. If I did I think I'd put the shears in a more accessible position.
I never really thought about this kind of thing until I got into a minor snag with some mono-filament in an area open to fishing.

Attachments

• IMG_1419.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Hi.
I have tied a piece of 1/2" ID hose, the kind you siphon gas with, to wing side of my BP, to the holes that run up and down on the outside edge of my BP. The hose is about 4" long, and when I push the scissors into it they are held by friction. I have the hose positioned such that the shears do not extend beyond the bottom of the BP, but the large thumb hole does protrude slightly to the side where I can hook my thumb in it and push them downward. Just a one hand operation.
I usually dive in protected areas where I don't run into much fishing line. If I did I think I'd put the shears in a more accessible position.
I never really thought about this kind of thing until I got into a minor snag with some mono-filament in an area open to fishing.
That looks great, but I can't copy the backplate location. I do like the tubing idea, and will experiment with different locations. Thanks!

Eezycut trilobite and 3 inch blunt tip victorinox knife, both mounted beside belt buckle at waist on harness.

Blunt tip mini on my shoulder and an "Old School BFK" on my leg. I always have a BFK when on land or in the water. My land BFK is a Randal Model 14 that went on every mission during my military career, and my diving BFK is a little bigger. I don't care if it scares civilians. It makes me comfortable. I only had to use it once since 1973.

@Francesea, if I may suggest:

Get a copy of "The Ashley Book of Knots". Add a dog clip to your light, shears, prybar, whatever...

You have D-rings. All you need to add is an innertube strap or surg tubing loop to keep the tool in place. Finally, a 4" piece of neo glued at both ends to your coldwater gloves. You remove your tool from the D-ring and clip to the neo loop on your glove.

Need two free hands? Drop the tool, it stays with you. See pic.
Light.jpg

@Francesea, if I may suggest:

Get a copy of "The Ashley Book of Knots". Add a dog clip to your light, shears, prybar, whatever...

You have D-rings. All you need to add is an innertube strap or surg tubing loop to keep the tool in place. Finally, a 4" piece of neo glued at both ends to your coldwater gloves. You remove your tool from the D-ring and clip to the neo loop on your glove.

Need two free hands? Drop the tool, it stays with you. See pic.
View attachment 427714
The more stuff I lose, the more I need these tips for retaining whatever stuff I have left, or had to rebuy!

This post: Dive knife, Sea Snips, or both? got me thinking of how different kinds of cutting tools are mounted. So ScubaBoarders, what about it?

I do not mount a knife in any of the locations listed. I always carry a folding knife clipped to the right side of my harness. When needed I have a long knife strapped to my right thigh high enough that the handle is where my hand would normally come to rest. The long knife is used more as a tool for prying and hammering though.

Trilobite on shoulder strap, small knife on "belt"(wing webbing).

I used to have the knife on my inflator hose, but my new wing BCD has a short hose.

so far a cheap dive knife on my ankle. When i tried to do this at a younger age, many years ago, there were lots of cool dive knives around and it seems like alot of them are gone. the Companies are gone or dont make dive knives anymore. IDK. Im a knife guy anyway so I like a good solid blade. I dont go anywhere W/O a knife of some kind. TEKNA made a really cool little dive knife.

I have one pocket on the waist belt of my harness that I can fit my SMB and reel in nicely. I mounted my knife to the outside of that pocket where it is easy to reach. It wasn't comfortable on my waist belt as it kept poking me if I bent over and I didn't have room to mount it horizontally. My Trilobite works well on my waist belt, however.

How are you guys mounting Trilobites to your wrist computers? I didn't know that was a thing! Anyone have pics they can share?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom