What kind of case to travel with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D200, ikelite housing, 60mm lens and port, single D125 strobe and chargers. Likely will add another lens and port or dome in the future. Laptop, but it is small and goes as carry on second bag.

Would be nice to get the regs in carry on along with the essentials when luggage goes astray.

For the trip I just took to Malaysia, I carried my D70 plus 4 lenses, the Ike housing, one focus port for the 60mm, one ds125 strobe and some misc camera stuff in a lowepro backpack. In my rather large laptop bag, I carried the Ike tray, strobe arms, and a charger for the strobe and the camera, and my HUGE laptop. If I had a smaller laptop, I probably could have taken my reg as well.

My second strobe and the rest of my ports were checked as was all of my dive gear.

This meant that if they lost my baggage, I could still shoot with my 60mm and one strobe. Of course I would have to rent or borrow my dive gear but I figure that to be easier than renting a camera.

As long as you are flying International and especially if you are going to or from the USA, 2 bags under 70# each for checkin and one backpack and one computer case that you can carry without looking like you are straining too much seems to work.

Ikelite does not have a big dome... I think 1510 will do for you, but be sure tho check inside dimensions on Pelican website.
I think it a problem to take housing w/ports, camera body + lenses and regulators on carry on limit... I have been able to take the 1550 + 1 backpack onboard, but it is not a rule. Maybe you can fit everything inside the 1560... but the thing is, once you have the not-so-fragile equipment as housings, ports etc... inside a locked Pelican w/dividers I feel pretty safe in dispatching it. At least I have hauled my equipment across the globe this way.
There are also backpacks, like the Orion Trekker II, that you can put your DSLR and some few lenses + flash on the bottom and you have space (noy padded) for general things on top.

Darnold9999:
Thanks to all, good stuff, really helps - if you go with the carry on, can you (and should you) mount the camera within the housing to save space for the trip? I would think that this would be a good place for it, but... what do I know. Would not do this for the larger case and send as checked baggage. If I go this way the camera goes with me in checked luggage.

Tortuga knows about the Ikelite products but I put my Oly cameras in their housings when travelling to save space. There is no bolt involved with the Oly point and shoot setup.

Here is the backpack I use. If we are on a live-aboard the Storm Case gets stowed and this tends to be what I work out of. In it I carry on the following:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...692&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Aquatica Housing
8" Dome or Flat port (you can't take both)
DSLR Body
1-2 lenses
2 Inon D2000w strobes
Laptop
Batteries & Chargers for the above
Arms & Clamps
Sync Cords and all misc items needed to shoot WA or Macro

Tortuga Roja:
As long as you are flying International and especially if you are going to or from the USA, 2 bags under 70# each for checkin and one backpack and one computer case that you can carry without looking like you are straining too much seems to work.

I wouldn't count on 70 lbs each for your checked baggage. Each airline is different, I would check first to avoid their outrageous over-weight bag fees. I just flew Delta to Costa Rica and their checked bag limit is 50 lbs each. A guy next to me checking in was over the limit and it cost him $100. YMMV

Coming back from Belize i was 5 lb over the 50 pound limit and it cost me $25. THe days of 70# limits is in the past. Pretty much all the local carriers and some of the international ones are at 50 # now and checking pretty carefully. Makes travel with dive gear and photo gear tricky. Clothing will need to become optional soon.

Darnold9999:
Just getting a housing and strobe for my camera and am not sure what to buy to carry it around in. For local dives and to travel? Am considering a pelican case, but would like feedback form those with more experience. Is there a better option? Also how big - just big enough for case and camera or?

Now that this has gone on for a bit...

Tell me, what is the logic for packing all your stuff in a Pelican case and carrying it with you like a baby? The case is designed for airlines- checking it through. Put it inside a duffel, for sure, insure the heck out of it.

Real pro shooters use Igloo coolers and duct tape.

Otherwise, a soft sided, padded case is way lighter, much more space efficient for air travel.

Downside to using a simple soft side case vs. a hard pellican case?

1) Chicks will not be impressed with a nylon case.

2) You wont have the opportunity to kill someone by dumping your case out of the overhead.

3) You'll never have the opportunity to argue with a gate attendant making up new travel rules as you attempt to board.

4) Nothing says I am a great photographer like the big case. When I started, I had to have the Halliburton Case. In 1976, I bought one of the first Pellican cases ever made. Boy, did I look cool.

Pelican cases are the best... for what they are designed for. Tossing in a tuck bed, heaving aboard a boat, stowed in wet areas, piling stuff upon. I have several and as a matter of fact, Pelican and I do commercial business quite often. They buy Picatinny rail systems from me. I love Pelican in oh-so-many ways.

Not as a carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom