What kind of case to travel with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
Now that this has gone on for a bit...

Tell me, what is the logic for packing all your stuff in a Pelican case and carrying it with you like a baby? The case is designed for airlines- checking it through. Put it inside a duffel, for sure, insure the heck out of it.

Real pro shooters use Igloo coolers and duct tape.

Otherwise, a soft sided, padded case is way lighter, much more space efficient for air travel.

Downside to using a simple soft side case vs. a hard pellican case?

1) Chicks will not be impressed with a nylon case.

2) You wont have the opportunity to kill someone by dumping your case out of the overhead.

3) You'll never have the opportunity to argue with a gate attendant making up new travel rules as you attempt to board.

4) Nothing says I am a great photographer like the big case. When I started, I had to have the Halliburton Case. In 1976, I bought one of the first Pellican cases ever made. Boy, did I look cool.

Pelican cases are the best... for what they are designed for. Tossing in a tuck bed, heaving aboard a boat, stowed in wet areas, piling stuff upon. I have several and as a matter of fact, Pelican and I do commercial business quite often. They buy Picatinny rail systems from me. I love Pelican in oh-so-many ways.

Not as a carry on.

Not sure - wanted others opinions re do I need the hard case, as you say they are a pain. My forensic kit is in such a case and for the space you get inside, is huge outside, but I know it will arrive unbroken no matter where I take it - and I don't get second chances.

Insurance is an issue, can't find a Canadian carrier that will insure for travel and flood so will keep looking.

Don't need to look cool - well maybe a little, you can never be too cool :) - but don't want to spend the $ twice on camera and housing because I did something easily avoided. Stuff is expensive, and I am not sure how fragile. We have yet to break any of our other cameras, but we don't take them underwater or travel with strobes so...I ask.

Very much appreciate the input from all.

my little bit on this...granted I am not the most organized traveler. Which is one reason checking a disguised Pelican works well for me...I worry about having too much to keep up with, get stolen in restrooms, etc.

Ron Frank has a great backpack for taking it on the plane. ---pro? Levpro, something like that.

Anyway, I use a Pelican and put it in a big duffel to disguise it. It is insured, I check everything. Flying west from Hawaii to the South Pacific usually involves wee hour flying and layovers (Guam, etc) where we sleep in bags at the gates. (At times 4-5 hrs.)

My tip for local trips, is get a collapsable cooler, the type that has a handle and rolls, like a "flight attendant bag". Now, you have portable rinse bucket, and I convenient way to get it from the car. It is not super padded, so be careful rolling along. It does fit under the bench seats of many boats.

Here at home I have a big hard bucket-bin with handles and I throw the camera in there for the car ride..maybe pad it a little with a towel. My set-up gets man handled a bit, I hate to admit it.

what is the logic for packing all your stuff in a Pelican case and carrying it with you like a baby?

NONE!

The reason I use Pelicans is to be in peace of mind checkin it through... and I think they are also great to take your equipment to the boat! Once they are closed I dont even wonder if the boat will sink or not!!! If it goes to the bottom, we will have a great wreck dive, and them I will wait for rescue sitting on top of my Pelican with my stuff safe inside!
Even my scuba stuff along with my wife's one goes checked in a Pelican 1650!:D

The problem with checking your luggage is not if your case will survive its the delicate stuff inside. I watched in horror as my suitcase with my pelican case inside was tossed about 15 feet all 50 pounds of it to a conveyer belt. Even with the foam surrounding my gear I am sure the shock on landing was harsh to the equipment. So it was the last time I packed it, I carry it on now. Last thing i want is to go on a trip get there and find out my gear is trashed. Ever bought a lens in Bonaire? Cant emagine what the cost would be if you could find what you need. I paid $15.00 for a $4.00 battery in Aruba after a $20 cab ride just to get my dive computer back working.

catherine96821:
Ron Frank has a great backpack for taking it on the plane. ---pro? Levpro, something like that.
Lowepro, maybe? I use one and love it. They make different sized packs, some with rollers, just depends on what you need 'em for.

Cameras/Lenses are not good things to check-in, even in a Pelican... I carry them in my LowePro backpack... but everything eles goes through

I pack my basic rig in the f.64 backpack just in case the Stormcase goes missing. Sure it weights a ton but at this point I rather my reg gets lost than my camera, twisted.

reidman:
The problem with checking your luggage is not if your case will survive its the delicate stuff inside. I watched in horror as my suitcase with my pelican case inside was tossed about 15 feet all 50 pounds of it to a conveyer belt. Even with the foam surrounding my gear I am sure the shock on landing was harsh to the equipment. So it was the last time I packed it, I carry it on now. Last thing i want is to go on a trip get there and find out my gear is trashed. Ever bought a lens in Bonaire? Cant emagine what the cost would be if you could find what you need. I paid $15.00 for a $4.00 battery in Aruba after a $20 cab ride just to get my dive computer back working.

Yeah - last trip I paid $38 for a cable I can buy here for $4 or pull out of my junk bin for free:D

I saw all the lowe pro product that yu recommended, ... with all stuff that I have: 1 camera nikon D50 ,3 lens, mac note book 12" ,ipod,and mem cards, I think the product its all way to bigggggggg.....

any suggestion (what brand) to have back pack with rolling for note book and camera? and ofcourse not too big...

thanks
nia

Back
Top Bottom