What kayak to purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayak stability is not simply derived from width but is a function of width and length. Long kayaks are more stable for a given width and they are FASTER and track better which makes it much easier to paddle them efficiently over a distance. The Prowler 13 has a nice length to width ratio and is an efficient paddler, the Scrambler by comparison is a polywog. N

I'd like a kayak that is as multifunctional as possible. Meaning on I could go diving with but also play in the surf with after the dive, maybe fishing (but not an angler serie), some rivers and lakes, etc. How would the prowler handle itself in the surf or on rivers (not rapids, just slow rivers).

The wilderness tarpon 120 seems nice according to those videos

If you are asking me I don't know anything about the Wilderness Tarpon, it looks OK (pun) to me.

NO, long kayaks that are good for efficient paddling and stable tracking are not the type of short fat liitle kayaks used for surf and river play.

The second video--the yellow one--appears to be a Ocean Kayak Scrambler XL. A commonly used and popular OK model for divers.

You might, might be able to do some small amount of surf play with a Scrambler or Scramber XL which are both under 12 feet. They are not designed for surf play. They are designed for open water paddling.

Why rather than asking us, go to the web pages of popular manufacturers and see that all of them have descriptions and uses of their products.

Choosing A Kayak - Ocean Kayak

On this page you can see all of the OK kayaks and compare them, the Frenzy for example is a good yak for surf and river play, the Prowler models you can see are much longer and are designed to carry a fisherman or diver or other paddler longer distances with a load of gear, the Frenzy looks fun to zip around in the surf I bet.

Single Kayaks - Ocean Kayak

There is no one of anything does all of everything. The web page claims this Scramber is a good all around choice including surfing--so it says:

Scrambler 11® - Versatile All-Around Performing Kayak - Ocean Kayak

I am not trying ot sell you on an OK vs a Tarpon or other brand, those are just the ones I have used, rented, borrowed or owned. I am a kayak beginner. If you plan to paddle in a straight line for any distance you do not want a short and fat yak, I learned that part already.

N

I just posted a Sevylor 2 person diveyak in mint condition. I paid over $500 new in Hawaii. It's been in the water 4 times. I'm selling it for $300 + S&H. Possibly negotiable. If you're interested call me. Mike 850-375-2484

Anyway, has anyone dove with the Hobie Kayaks before? They're a good bit more expensive and they have that weird propulsion system underneath.

I have a Revolution and have been very happy with it. The only downfall is the kayak pedal system can not be used in the kelp, but the Mirage Drive does not need to be removed to pass over kelp, and the regular ole' paddle works just fine. Otherwise it is an incredibly fast kayak. Legs are much stronger than arms. I upgraded to the Super Turbo fins and like the improvement. It is plenty stable, and in fact much more stable than a Scupper Pro (Known as one of the all time great dive kayaks, that is no longer made). The Revolution can handle double HP100's in the tank well, but have fun putting them back on board. Only flipped it twice trying to do so after a kayak dive with doubles off Mono Lobo Wall. The front compartment can handle an extra tank up too an AL80 or HP100. That is where I store my fins, since I have no desire to change out a tank on the water. The center hatch stores all my small gear (Mask, weight belt, keys/cell/wallet in a dry box, along with flares and a VHF radio), with the rear hatch holding my PFD for legality.

If you want more specific info on the Revolution just ask...Brad PM me if you want to chat on the phone.

The Prowler 13 is a strong contender in the scuba and ab diving kayak challenge. Fishing and regular tooling around in too of course.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Hobie Stern to bow.jpg
    Hobie Stern to bow.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 740
I have owned the Sevylor tandem for quite some time. It tracks well and takes to diving great. The only rthing I do not like about it is the stability fins. They tend to slip out of their pockets and I have lost and then found them many times. I am not sure what causes this, but I bought the whole rig for $300 slightly used and have really had no serious trouble from it, but many hours of fun, diving and just paddling the mangroves...They are a good investment and if ya live in a condo, as I do, they don't take up a lot of room when deflated.

and what is the advantage of the prowler 13 over the scrambler 11? (not only for diving but in general?)
Would the Caper (Ocean kayak) be an option also for diving?
thanks
The scrambler carrying capacity is 100 Lb. less than the prowler. (350 vs. 450) Something to think about if you take multiple tanks on a dive. I started out with a scrambler XT. With me, two tanks, all my gear, a cooler, and various other items, I had almost no freeboard. I moved up to a prowler 13 and it made a big difference. It's quick, manuverable, and a lot roomier.

I think the caper would not be a good option, either, for the same reason. It has a max capacity of 275Lb.

Of course if you are 98Lb. soaking wet, dive an aluminum 63, and drive a Prius, the caper may be a good option.:D

I am new to diving but I have been a kayaking guide for 8 years now. I also lead and teach kayak fishing. I think you need to consider the fact that the more different things you need a kayak to do, expect it to do them less well. What I am saying is, a good surf boat is not a good fishing boat or a good dive platform.
I have paddled the prowler 13 and 15 alot. I am a huge fan of the 15 for fishing and diving. You gain speed and tracking over the 13.
The Frenzy is pretty good in surf but is too short to cover long distance efficiently.
The malibu 2 and malibu 2xl are great work platforms and hold a ton of gear.
the scupper pro does rock and is back for 2009
the zest two will dive two people!
If you wan the ultimate tank for fishing and diving, check this boat out:
Freedom Hawk Kayaks - Freedom 14 Angling Kayak
Whatever you get buy a bright color.
Oh, and inflatables are portable but stink on the efficiency end of things. They oil can (bend).
I would stay away. If you ever make it up to maine and want to dive off of some of these boats look me up. I have access to most of them.
-Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom