What item of equipment was a waste of money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
Like all divers, my brain stops working once I hit the water
My dearest Paul.... as a wise man once said, "Computers Rot Your Brain."

You've been using a computer, haven't you Paul? Tsk Tsk Tsk....

btw: great thread idea!

jonnythan once bubbled...
The $30 POS SSI DiveLog binder.

Ahh yes. I got lucky and didn't know that there were PADI binders I could buy that zipped closed until after I found my 5-star zip-close binder on the clearance rack at staples. I think I paid $5 or so for it.

As far as wasted purchases? Hmm... There's quite a bit of stuff I don't use, but it wasn't really wasted, as it served a purpose at the time [like all the extra weights I now have, my old BC, my pony bottle bracket].

I think probably the biggest waste of money would be all the retractable clips and lanyards... zip-tying snap bolts to everything is a hell of a lot easier.

my wife's al63's. At least until her air consumption gets better. She gets po'd when I make her wear my al80's... they are too long... so we can get more bottom time. Now she wants steel tanks.

Retractors. CONSOLES. Mares axis reg.

Like spectre, I replaced my jacket bc..but don't really regret buying it... just wish I had waited until after I dove for a year before buying my bc and reg.

No zippers on my wet suit legs...will rectify that this winter.

Crappy akona mesh bag... the stahlsac I picked up on vacation is much better.

Hey, I actually used my knife recently! It was... uhh... on the boat, and the captain borrowed it to... uhh... splice a line. Planning to buy shears instead, and would recommend that to anyone that asks. Seems like you'd be much more likely to encounter fishing line than anything else.

First SCUBA purchase after Mask/Snorkel/Fins: A big ol' SS dive knife. The one piece of gear I own that never gets used: you guessed it. Like a lot of other scubaboarders I've switched to shears and the knife stays in the gear bag. It sure is pretty to look at, though. :D

I also regret buying ankle weights. Proper trim and suit-gas-management means I don't need them anymore.

The suicide clip is much superior to bolt or butterfly snaps on a riding rig!

BTW I ALWAYS carry a BFK, both above and below water. It's a habit that has saved me more than once. It's also important to remember that dull knives and unloaded guns share something in common. They both are useful only as really bad clubs.

FT

I bought a pair when my wife got some. I've noticed no improvement in clearing (they didn't help her either) and when I wear them under a hood the pressure from the neoprene pressing them into my ears makes them too painful to wear after a few minutes. Not too expensive, but IMO a complete waste of money. YMMV.

Ralph

I still have my old scubapro BFK :) Straped to inside of my leg(when diving)
You know the one with the 6 inch markings on the blade.
I have used the saw side of the blade many times and the ruler too!! There are things a pair of scissors cant do :)

Rick L

Back
Top Bottom