What item of equipment was a waste of money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont throw those knives yet!!!!. 3 times in 2700 dives I've needed a big knife to cut thick 2" hawser from props and a diver. Shears or small knives would not have done.

Carry both, the shears will get used more often, but sometimes a Rambo job fits the bill much better. Trouble is you cant tell in advance when you'll need it

I carry a 10" leg knife, a 4" knife mounted SEAL style on my harness and then in my pocket I carry a net slasher and shears. ALL have seen action over the years

Buff,

Feel free to ship those AL80's of yours down to me at anytime. I will be more then willing to give them a great life as stage bottles! :D :wink:

My noise maker follows me where ever I go... It is great to get a student's attention with.

And Buff... if you are looking for a nice tax deduction, BSA Scuba Crew 7 (The Scuba Ducks) is always looking for gear to be donated. This includes BCs, Regulators, and tanks!!! I will be more than happy to give you a receipt for whatever you think the item is worth. Sometimes giving to charity gives back more than just that "warm feeling" that you have helped!!!

My dry snorkel... Should have just gotten a tube with a moutpiece for as much as I use the thing! It's nice, but doesn't look right mounted on my living room wall. Also, skip the dive knife and get shears... I bought two knives before I even got certified, yeah...they look cool but I'll probably never use them. Oh well, live and learn.

I'm surprised to see knives listed... why, just a few weeks ago I used my pig-sticker to dispatch a big snapper. And just this weekend we used Kat's 6" blunt tip to cut up the surface interval cantaloupe...
Use 'em lots.
Rick

ACB weight pockets.

I need so little weight that it's much easier to use a half V-weight. Maybe when the weather cools down and I get the drysuit going I'll need the ACBs but I kinda doubt it.

Tom

Biggest waste and dangerous too!!
I had one of those bullet weights with the suicide clips on it!!
I thought it would be a good place to put my game bag!
Wrong the bags got all tangled up or fell off !!!
I havn't used it in years so I just used the weight as weight.
3 weeks ago I came up far from the boat so I just used my regulator on the swim back. When I got to the boat and asked why they did not come and get me they told me the anchor was caught!! I looked at my pressure gauge it had 250lbs.
I thought 25 feet thats plenty of air to go down and back up!!
I went down the anchor line When I hit bottom I heard a click?
The anchor line had gone into the clip!! I reached down and got it out on the first try. I was lucky I dont use that weight anymore!!
And I wont take do a dive like that again without more air!!!

Rick L

Being newly certified I bought one from the local LDS... only to have them make fun of me on the next dive. But, I pointed out, that they had sold it to me in the first place. Last time I ever darkened their door!!!

Tank Banger, what a piece of junk! It's a plastic ball attached to a large rubber band that is rolled onto your tank. The idea being that smaking the ball on the tank will produce a sound that draws attention. Well it makes a sound, of sorts, a weak one at best. As for being an attention grabber, it fails miserably. I am still looking for an underwater sounding device that really works. But the tank banger although cheep, is the dumbest thing I have purchased. :eek:ut:

My wife purchased an underwater whistle..

I was scheptical at first, and lauging my ass off after seeing it used.

I can make more sound yelling into the watter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom