What is your opinion of this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
i mean, Robertson is the guy who said that SOuth African appartheid was
ok; that the Russians had land missiles in Cuba in the 90's; that
we should assassinate Venezuela's president... and on and on...

the guy's credibility is not exactly high
Hey look at the bright side ... at least he had enough sense not to take on Tinky Winky ... :wink:

My mom is about Sharon's age, and she's had two strokes ... I wonder what God was mad at her for?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

El Orans:
The reason why I mention this book is that it states what I believe namely that God has given man freedom of choice and thus doesn't interfere in our lives directly.

Laurens

I agree with that 100%

El Orans:
The reason why I mention this book is that it states what I believe namely that God has given man freedom of choice and thus doesn't interfere in our lives directly.

Laurens

Of all the creatures only mankind was given Free Will. We can surrender it, but it will not be taken from us. Because of this we also suffer the consequenses of our actions, individualy and collectively.

H2Andy:
i mean, Robertson is the guy who said .......
that
we should assassinate Venezuela's president... and on and on...

the guy's credibility is not exactly high

That is the line that got me warned and all my posts pulled in another thread. I hope you don't get moderated for it.
LOL

Joe

Hemlon:
Are you aware that the writers of the Bible thought THEY were living in the "end times"??
The folks in Noah's time mocked him for a long time as well (Sorry, don't remember how many years) while he built his boat of wood. Just 'cause it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't :11:

Snow, on a related topic.... sort of...

why did Jesus say he'd be back before some of those listening would die?

and yet, he hasn't in 2000 years?

that's always puzzled me

Matthew 16:28 “There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

H2Andy:
Snow, on a related topic.... sort of...

why did Jesus say he'd be back before some of those listening would die?

and yet, he hasn't in 2000 years?

that's always puzzled me
I don't know. There are folks here who know a whole lot more about what the Word means than I do.... I'm trying to figure it out, but I probably don't "get it" a whole lot more than I do "get it."

So here's my take, and hopefully someone who know better than I do will correct me....
First, here it is in the context in which it was said:
"Mat 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.
25 For whoever desires to save his life shall lose it, and whoever desires to lose his life for My sake shall find it.
26 For what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
27 For the Son of Man shall come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He shall reward each one according to his works.
28 Truly I say to you, There are some standing here who shall not taste of death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom. "

I *think* what Jesus was saying was that once He returns, ALL will be judged according to his works. This judgement means rewards for good works as well as paying the consequence of "eternal death" for sin. I think what Jesus is talking about here is that eternal death (denial of eternal life with Him in "Heaven") of a person's soul, not the physical death of the body. I think He's saying that there were those standing there who will never accept that Jesus was paying that death penalty when He was crucified, so that anyone (then or now or in the future) who accepts the gift of forgiveness would not have to suffer the consequence of the sin that each and every one of us commits.

Does that answer your question?

snow, as you know, i tend to see Jesus as a historical figure,
Yeshua or Yeshu, whose followers were clearly influenced by him,
to the point of putting their lives on the line.

when they tried to re-create what he had said and done
for later generations, i think some things got lost in
translation.

this may be one of them

also, for a historical perspective on Jesus (this is as good
as secular research gets) take a look at

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm

scroll down til you get to "The Christian Era"

it's just a historical perspective, but nicely done

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom