What is your favorite tank for singles??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwilding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was thinking about buying 1 or 2 tanks and am wondering what the prevailing preferences are. I can get a great deal on a couple of LP95's from Piranha Dive Manu. and am wondering how you divers feel about that (and other) tanks.

I have two LP95's and love them. Great buoyancy characteristics. They allowed me to remove 8#'s from my weight belt.

:popcorn:

I dive LP95s. For me, it's a pretty useful tank. I can do just about any dive to NDLs and maintain a safety reserve with them. I would prefer to own the HP 100s that my husband used to have, because they are lighter for the same gas volume and buoyancy characteristics, but they are much more expensive. We also have no trouble getting good fills on HP tanks around here (no compressors on our charter boats, either).

He has gone to HP 130s, because he's a bigger person than I am, and needs more gas to do the same dives. 130s are nice tanks -- they trim out very well, and hold a ridiculous amount of gas. They are also BEASTLY heavy to manhandle around, and are expensive.

I was thinking about buying 1 or 2 tanks and am wondering what the prevailing preferences are. I can get a great deal on a couple of LP95's from Piranha Dive Manu. and am wondering how you divers feel about that (and other) tanks.

I have Worthington X7-100 HP 100 cylinders and I really like them. For a difference of 2 pounds I get 25% more air than with an aluminum 80. The cylinder is 2.1 inches shorter and I can drop 5 to 6 pounds of lead.

The comparison between a Worthington LP 95 and an HP 100 is shown below

Air capacity LP 95 = 93.3 FT3 HP 100 - 99.5 FT3
Weight empty LP 95 = 41.9 pounds HP 100 = 33 pound
Buoyancy Empty LP 95 = -3 pounds HP 100 = -2.5
Buoyancy Full LP 95 = -10.1 pounds HP 100 = -10.0
Length LP 95 = 23.7 inches HP 100 = 24 inches
Diameter LP 95 = 8.0 inches HP 100 = 7.25 inches

Given the above characteristics I much prefer the the Worthington HP 100.
For the same weight and diameter as the LP 95 you can get and HP 119 and have 123 FT3 of air instead of 93.3 FT3. That amounts to almost 32% more air for for the same size cylinder.

Of course, all of the above analysis ignores the price differential between the deal you are getting on the LP 95s versus the cost of the Worthington HP 100 or HP 119 cylinders.

I have both HP100's and LP98's.
I like the way the hp100's trim out a little better than the 98's did.
So I turned the 98's into doubles, and dive the 100's as singles.

How much are the 95's that you are looking at ?

From time to time you can get hp100 fabers for about $250.00 from Divers Direct.

Jim B

How much are the 95's that you are looking at ?

From time to time you can get hp100 fabers for about $250.00 from Divers Direct.

Jim B
$245 a piece

I have a pair of worthington X7-100 HP 100 and I love them!

So great compared to the evil 80 alu.
Plenty of air, super caractéristiques of buoyancy, plenty of air

Even cheaper than the LP95 is the MP120 ($211)
# 3180 +10% overfill rating = 3498 PSI
# DIAMETER: 7.2 inches
# LENGTH: 28.5 inches
# WEIGHT EMPTY: 45.3 lbs
# BUOYANCY FULL: -15.58 lbs
# BUOYANCY EMPTY: -6.53 lbs

My aversion (perhaps too strong of a word) to HP is just that getting a good fill can sometimes be a challenge and certainly costs more.

Worthington X8 HP130 is my favorite. As others have so correctly stated, those babies hold lots of air. I got mine for $360 apiece with PRO valves.

Even cheaper than the LP95 is the MP120 ($211)
# 3180 +10% overfill rating = 3498 PSI
# DIAMETER: 7.2 inches
# LENGTH: 28.5 inches
# WEIGHT EMPTY: 45.3 lbs
# BUOYANCY FULL: -15.58 lbs
# BUOYANCY EMPTY: -6.53 lbs

My aversion (perhaps too strong of a word) to HP is just that getting a good fill can sometimes be a challenge and certainly costs more.

I'm not sure I'd get that cylinder -- it is CRAZY HEAVY in the water. :shocked2:

Not getting a "good fill" on a 3442 cylinder really isn't a big deal unless you need the gas. For someone with <50 dives, you don't need anywhere near 130cf of gas for a dive, anyway...

If you own a 130 and get a fill to 2700psi, you essentially have an LP104.
If you have a 119 and get a fill to 2700psi you essentially have an LP95.

etc etc..

Back
Top Bottom