What is your favorite of all time regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a couple of bolts from a local industrial supplier for free. They were engineering samples...

They clamp in a vise just fine.
Just wondering...how many regs are over tightened?

Since the real pressure seals are based upon orings and flat surfaces, over cranking things down is generally bad.

Is "hand tight" tight enough?

I have seen regs were the yoke retainer nut was almost stripped due to excessive over tightening.

Yes, this is a real issue, IMHO....and led to the unfortunate and unnecessary death of the MK20. There are torque specs for a reason. Really reefing on brass is not good.

That said, disassembly can be awkward and having a secure and solid place to grasp the reg body is imperative...without damaging the body. Some regs get a bit abused and the buildup of salt crystals, etc, can make disassembly very difficult.

Over-tightening is all too common; but, sadly, "hand-tight" is seldom, if ever, tight enough.

Many manufacturer's specifications call for torque settings around the 30nm (22 foot pound) range -- not much at all; but I have seen those numbers repeatedly exceeded, by a long shot -- so much so, that I have had occasion to use almost full body weight to loosen some overcranked fittings and was suitably concerned about possible damage. I had actually suspected the use of Locktite on a couple of occasions; they were just that tight.

I have also known techs, over the years, who have claimed to have a so-called "feeling" for the correct torque settings; and don't even use the admittedly expensive wrenches at all. I have yet to witness an accurate "guesstimate" using that practice; and they are yet another reason, among many, why I service my own gear . . .

I'm still using the cut off end of an HP hose. I guess I'm too cheap to get a real tool. For a few services a year it is working fine.
I have you beat.... An old M60 blank adapter fits LP ports perfect, and was about to get thrown away at work! Lol

The only recurrent problem I have had with my Cyklons is with the 1st stage seats. We have made them ourselves, for it is really difficult for Cubans in Cuba to find the repair kits, but then I have to replace them at least twice a year. The rest, perfect!!!

The only recurrent problem I have had with my Cyklons is with the 1st stage seats. We have made them ourselves, for it is really difficult for Cubans in Cuba to find the repair kits, but then I have to replace them at least twice a year. The rest, perfect!!!

Wow, that's impressive! What materials are you using for the seats; and is there a reliable way for us to send a few of those bits to Cuba?

We have a small group of Tec divers enthusiastic of Poseidon here. Teflon is the closest to the original we have available in Cuba. And Anything you can send will be inmensivelly appreciated. I have a friend in Miami who can send things to me, and it is really safe. I even can pay for the shipping Is there is a cost for that, or even arrange cigars and rum in return, but I know we divers are very healthy people, and don't succumbe to those mundane pleasures...
Wow, that's impressive! What materials are you using for the seats; and is there a reliable way for us to send a few of those bits to Cuba?

We have a small group of Tec divers enthusiastic of Poseidon here. Teflon is the closest to the original we have available in Cuba. And Anything you can send will be inmensivelly appreciated. I have a friend in Miami who can send things to me, and it is really safe. I even can pay for the shipping Is there is a cost for that, or even arrange cigars and rum in return, but I know we divers are very healthy people, and don't succumbe to those mundane pleasures...

Drop me a personal message of which parts are needed; and I'll see what we can do. Please contact your friend in Miami and make the introductions. I'll cover shipping.

Wow, homemade teflon HP seats -- that's a first . . .

Attachments

• Cyklon & Odin Service Kit Cheat Sheet.pdf
    209.8 KB · Views: 81
I got a couple of bolts from a local industrial supplier for free.

I just rummaged through my miscellaneous bolt drawer, didn’t take long to find one,

Just wondering...how many regs are over tightened?

The ones that don’t get the use of a torque wrench. If you do a lot with a torque wrench, chances are you would get the feel, but a torque wrench is more accurate.

Is "hand tight" tight enough?

No, because you won’t get the proper friction necessary to prevent it from loosening.

Harbor Freight, torque wrench $20, $10 if you get it on clearance. Inch pounds, and two ranges of ft pounds. Better than guessing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom