Regulators and GAS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome!) I suffer it with guitars, guns and regulators!

Regulators are what makes SCUBA happen, and they have been a source of intrigue and awe for me since I ,as a 6 year old, I first watched the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau on our B&W TV!
The very first time I breathed off a regulator underwater was spiritual, even though I had been spearfishing for years. And I know that most scuba divers these days take for granted that thing they breathe from, but for me it will always be the ability to breathe underwater- something without which my world would not be the same.

But there have been so many fascinating and cool regulators to play with and own!!!
Like most reasonable (GAS) addicts I am always trying to reduce the habit to a reasonable level. I know I can't dive them all so here are my thoughts:
In 2014 I am going to mount my vintage metal second stages in proud fashion on a board in my office and reduce my working armory to 2 regulators! My single hose is going to be an Aqualung Titan LX / Egress and black Hog SPG, My DH is going to be the new Argonaut Kraken, when I can get my hands on one.
The concept is to go get:
One practical all round- do it all single hose outfit.
Get the double hose I have always wanted but was afraid to ask!

Anyone else have a GAS resolution for 2014?

Yep, not easy to retire a perfectly good 156!!
_DSC0199.jpg

GAS .....In 2014 I am going to mount my vintage metal second stages in proud fashion on a board in my office and reduce my working armory to 2 regulators! My single hose is going to be an Aqualung Titan LX / Egress and black Hog SPG, ....

I'm hurt.

GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome!) I suffer it with guitars, guns and regulators!

Regulators are what makes SCUBA happen, and they have been a source of intrigue and awe for me since I ,as a 6 year old, I first watched the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau on our B&W TV!
The very first time I breathed off a regulator underwater was spiritual, even though I had been spearfishing for years. And I know that most scuba divers these days take for granted that thing they breathe from, but for me it will always be the ability to breathe underwater- something without which my world would not be the same.

But there have been so many fascinating and cool regulators to play with and own!!!
Like most reasonable (GAS) addicts I am always trying to reduce the habit to a reasonable level. I know I can't dive them all so here are my thoughts:
In 2014 I am going to mount my vintage metal second stages in proud fashion on a board in my office and reduce my working armory to 2 regulators! My single hose is going to be an Aqualung Titan LX / Egress and black Hog SPG, My DH is going to be the new Argonaut Kraken, when I can get my hands on one.
The concept is to go get:
One practical all round- do it all single hose outfit.
Get the double hose I have always wanted but was afraid to ask!

Anyone else have a GAS resolution for 2014?

I will agree with the stuff that I highlighted... but downsizing... I don't think so.

My Argonaut is now my go to regulator, but I have plenty of others to play with and share. I can't imagine just having one DH. :rolleyes:

I don't use a single hose regulator regularly, but my wife uses a Titan 1st stage with a nice Scubapro Balanced Adjustable second stage (the best of both words, IMHO).

I do have several BA seconds pair up with Conshelf for stage bottles and secondary regulators (on two outlet manifolds).

My main two regulators currently are my USD Phoenix RAM-HPR and my AL Titan LX. I want a SP G260 and someday perhaps if good fortune and the stars align there will be a Kraken. I have semi-retired my 109s, Conshelfs, MR12-IIs and other assorted stuff. The Titan just is a better all around regulator and I do not feel sad if it gets lost, stolen or mashed. My double hose regulators in my collection, aside from the Phoenix, have already been in semi-retirement.

The regulators I keep ready to dive are, in order of priority:

1. USD Phoenix RAM-HPR (with Calypso octo) and sharing top billing the AL Titan LX set.
2. SP 109 with Mk V set.
3. USD square label RAM-HPR.
4. Conshelf XIV Supreme set for cold water.
5. Voit Navy with HPR and converted to a Cyclone RAM first stage.
6. USD Mistral, my second regulator to own and mine since circa 1966.

and;

Very important, my wife's AL Legend.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom