What is your exotic dream dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all! It looks like I picked the right forum to post a question like this. :)

A lot of you named a place (or dive site) I am not familiar with so I am going to be doing a bit of research then replying back or PM'ing you.

Great question. I've been thinking of one along the same lines but for a 1 week long live aboard trip for my impending 40th birthday. Fiancé and I will be going along with maybe 1 or 2 good friends. Though by that time next year we'll be married and will have a honeymoon in Galopogos under our belt, during which I doubt she'll go for a liveaboard :wink:

So far the target has always been Truk lagoon (odyssey) because I've always been fascinated with it, probably goes back to all those skin diver magazine spreads from when I was a kid. Anyway, I'm interested to see the rest of the recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A trip I would repeat is a combination Bali - Raja Ampat liveaboard. Bali for the place and people, stay in Ubud for a week, the another 10 days on a liveaboard in Raja Ampat for the diving. If money were no object and you want to be treated very very well try Dive Damai. Lots of other cheaper options, but with only 10 divers it is special and the rooms on the boat are spectacular. In Bali you can spend any amount you want - from a private villa to a shack.

However, sharks are not what you will see. Coral like nowhere else, fish in abundance, mantas and some very strange creatures. walking shark, wobbegong shark to name a couple. Going back in three weeks but will spend a week following in Lembeh rather than Bali.

If you want just diving then rather than Bali add Lembeh strait to the beginning or end - even stranger creatures.

Australia is also a special place. Did much of what TSMandT did but instead of diving Byron Bay did a liveaboard of the GBR. Great trip.

So far the target has always been Truk lagoon (odyssey) because I've always been fascinated with it, probably goes back to all those skin diver magazine spreads from when I was a kid. Anyway, I'm interested to see the rest of the recommendations.

My week on the Truk Odyssey was without a doubt one of the finest of my life. As one of the fellow guests remarked to me: "It is so rare that you build something up, and build something up, and build something up, and then when you finally get there... it really is that good!"

Trip report here if you are interested.

Having thought again about your message I think your answer is Palau. Strictly because you said the future wife had an interest there. Great diving and the wife is happy, does it get any better? Then she'll be OK with you (or both) going to all those other places we named later. :)

And please think of me in a couple weeks, Darnold... I'm counting the time to going back too...

Palau all the way for the diving and topside scenery of the Rock Islands!!!

As for recommended honeymoon activities, have one of the land-based dive-ops (SamsTours or Fisn n' Fins) drop you off by yourselves on your own secluded Rock Island sandy beach for one night during the weekday (and make sure you will be all alone by yourselves --some Palauans may come by for a weekend campout on their own boat, along with bright lights, loud boom boxes and a noisey high power gasoline generator:shocked2: !)

My week on the Truk Odyssey was without a doubt one of the finest of my life. As one of the fellow guests remarked to me: "It is so rare that you build something up, and build something up, and build something up, and then when you finally get there... it really is that good!"

Trip report here if you are interested.

Thanks RM, that's just the kind of info I was looking for. I've wanted to experience Truk for sooooo long now that I honestly feel compelled to go. I appreciate the info and am reading the trip report....now

For tropical diving I have aways been tempted by the following:

Great Barrier Reef (Australia)
Komodo Island + Raja Ampat
Red Sea (Egypt)

But ... I enjoy colder waters so I would prefer the following over the above three:

Galapagos
Alaska (through Nautilus Swell)
Labrador Currents (through NFL Canada)

I think Red Sea offer the best combination of history and diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom