What is your exotic dream dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

liono

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I am planning my honeymoon for January 2013. We are looking to do something exotic and expensive in (probably) the Pacific. We've done lots of diving in the Mexico/Caribbean area.

Right now I am looking at things like Palau/Yap, Sipadan, Fiji, Wakatobi, Cocos Islands, etc. We would like to do something where the coral is beautiful and abundant and the fish and shark diversity/population are thriving as well. I am leaning towards Palau/Yap as my fiance really wants to do the famous jellyfish lake ( http://photography.nationalgeographi...arm-palau-pod/ ) ... and Yap is so remote that it doesn't show up on google maps
smile.gif

If you have experience diving these locations please let me know your experiences and whether you would recommend them or somewhere else! I'm sure all of them would be amazing but I want it to be special for the honeymoon
smile.gif
Overall I am planning about two weeks of diving, so if the locations are close enough it can be two places. Two liveaboards, or a dive resort + liveaboard are fine too. If there is another forum I should be posting on, feel free to let me know that as well!

Last thing... if you have been to Palau, whom did you dive with ? Fish n Fins seems to be the big one.

thanks,
danny

I like history and love diving so what I really like to do on a trip like this is mix the two.
We will try to stay around two weeks with the first 7-8 days 100% dedicated to diving (like a liveaboard)
Then we put away the dive gear and spend the last 6-7 days being history/culture buffs.

Didn't give you a list of location just a " this is how we decide family trips that include a dive component".

We have been to Palau... but did a liveaboard. It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G to say the least.
By doing the liveaboard, we were able to get in 25+ dives in the week, no long boat rides, and meals prepared for us while out diving so all we had to do was sit down and eat while crew filled our tanks. It is the BEST way to do such an exotic and expensive destination. You get more Bang-for-your-buck.
The liveaboards stay anchored in a harbor out at the area you will be diving, and all diving is done from small boat, with less than 10 minute ride for the majority of your dives. If you stay land-based you will have a 45-60 minute boat ride each way and only get in 2 dives while the liveaboard people get in 4 dives.

Check out my videos from the trip here: https://vimeo.com/album/18777

Jellyfish lake was fun... but snorkeling bores me after about 10 minutes. I am glad I did it once, but I would not go all the way to Palau (long long travel both ways) to do it.
Now the shark dives and manta dives... yes, that is worth going to Palau!

robin

Have dove Fiji (Taveuni area). Great diving - tons of soft corals, many fish in most locations, walls but not a lot of big stuff although we did see white tip reef sharks individually. I am told there can be big things but we did not see alot of it. Other areas in Fiji have more sharks and bigger fish.
Topside is fantastic in the Taveuni area.
The place we stayed was higher dollar, secluded, small and no kids (Matangi). Not a lot to do except dive, snorkel, relax, read. There is a range of resorts and hotels in the area.

We thought about outer islands/groups in French Polynesia (not Society Islands) as we have heard about great diving and seclusion. Fiji was cheaper though.

Check out the Pacific Islands forum on SB for all south Pacific.

If you want exotic locations and diving then have a look at Seychelles and Maldives. I haven't been there yet but it's on the list.

I would do a liveaboard either on Palau or in Indonesia. Have never been to either, which is why I would look at those two first. They both have world beating reputations.

Not really honeymoon dives (unless you're both into that sort of thing) but the top two on my list are the Lermontov in New Zealand and the Queen of Nassau in the Keys at the moment.

Wife and I spent our honeymoon in Fiji, terrific diving. I'd go back again.

I'd consider Rangiroa. Of all the places I have dived, the reef there was the most beautiful and vivid and packed with sea life of all kinds. There is little to nothing to do on land, and it is expensive, but if diving is the centerpiece, that's an incredible place.

The other thing I'd think about is Australia. We had a fantastic trip there, diving in Byron Bay (search SB here -- there's a Byron Bay DM who posts beautiful photographs from his dives). Fabulous biodiversity and really beautiful topography there, and the town was charming. During the same trip, we also toured the wine country and went horseback riding among kangaroos . . . and the people we met, all of them, were incredibly friendly and seemed to have time to chat with us. I'd really like to go back there, and it would offer you a little more varied honeymoon trip than just diving, if that appeals.

If you're considering Wakatobi, I can personally recommend their liveaboard ... the Pelagian. It remains the nicest liveaboard I've ever been on. Since it's a honeymoon, if cost isn't an issue, get the captain's suite.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Been to many of the places mentioned by all.

For honeymoon locations, I would think warm water and beautiful islands. Cocos is cool but I wouldn't think honeymoon as it is 36 hour boat ride (plenty of time for seasick fun) to get there and I think somewhat isolated.

If you want sharks, then Palau is probably your best bet. Liveaboard would be only way to go there. Get up, get on the skiff, dive, come back, eat, repeat. Meanwhile anchored in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I'd say you don't get the variety of diving and as many critters as you would some other places, but it would be gorgeous and great easy diving as well as Blue Corner. Most diving there is drift diving which is some of the easiest you can do (as long as you want to go where the current is going :) ) Mostly wall dives in Palau. There are historical places there but otherwise not so much landwise. Yap would be great especially for mantas though some say it's not good enough to do alone without Palau.

Rangiroa (whom we named the cat after returning) was great as well. Incredible beauty. Expensive. Dives mostly in a couple of passes which connect ocean and 26 mile lagoon and deep dives to see schools of sharks. You might do Bora Bora and Rangiroa together. Overwater bungalows. Worth every cent. I think you would be doing all of your diving through resorts which isn't the best way to find problem-less diving as you have a range of participants.

Fiji has got great diving and the people are fantastic. Friendly and very island time. I'd do Nai'a or Bligh Waters.

Indonesia/Komodo/Raja Ampat - some of the best diving though not so many sharks. However, you do get the wobbegong shark to make up for it. In RA, fantastic warm water diving in a beautiful remote location. You'll find the whole id book on most dives. Great liveaboard location.

Yep. Jellyfish Lake is neat to do at least once, but the rest of that weeks dives will probably be even more exciting.

Depends diving or non diving, cultural trips...:
- Diving I would say Bikini Atol (wrecks sunk during nuclear testing) or Galapagos (big fauna).
- Cultural: getting out of your comfort zone is alot of fun, but going to an opera and a nice dinner during a city trip is also.
- Nature: I've been to the pacific north west & british Columbia... this was incredibly beautiful....would love to go back... maybe that's the trick. My soon to be wife loved that trip to Seattle-Vancouver-Rockies... we could combine it with diving this time :)

Back
Top Bottom