What is your biggest Fear in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. Glad you made it out OK. And I agree with Hank49, getting back in the water on the same day something like this happens takes a man much braver than me.
This bunny is a female :D I've had the sinus squeezes before, they don't tend to repeat once the pain subsides. I'm hyper aware of what my body is doing and I listen to it. If the pain hadn't cleared up during lunch I never would have done the next dive. I've done as many as 3 dives in a day after a reverse sinus block screwed with my ability to ascend. I always come back with extra air just in case my ascent will be delayed. Its part of my dive plan I rarely have to use but its nice to know I have time to work through the problem.
Ber :lilbunny:

I concur with those of you who dive with their children. I accept that diving is dangerous and I may die doing it. I accept that my wonderful husband knows these risks are accepts the potential consequences. We have lived great lives and hope to continue on. But if something happened to one of my sons while they were diving, I couldn't live with it. That's what scares me more than anything in the world.

Lion's Mane Jellyfish. I got lashed from cheek to cheek a few years ago and was breathing funny for three days. The doctor gave me an EpiPen to take along when I dive in Hood Canal.

So what did I come across last weekend? You get it, one of those kittys. It was only a baby, about the size of my outstretched hand with tentacles only about a foot long.

Don't get me wrong, I still got the picture. Came out very green as I was shooting up through the water column. How could I miss? It was coming straight at me. I turned to the left and there was another one. Acccck!

If I'm diving with my son my biggest fear is his blood sugar dropping really low (he's a diabetic). Hasn't happened yet but we have planned and practiced for when/if it does. Other than that, it's getting lost. I have no sense of direction at all.

What's up with this fear of sharks? Seriously ... we're not on their menu.

A lot of what I see posted in here would annoy me ... but fear? Nah ...

Read something recently about a fellow who was exploring a new section of cave only to have it collapse on top of him. He had to dig himself further in, only to then have to turn around and dig himself out. Almost ran outta gas before he made it.

That would creep the crap right outta me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Diving with divers that have read about DIR and haven't taken the course, the ones that think if they duplicate the setup they can walk the walk.

#1 Being left out there and or being carried away by current. Happened to me once and no matter how much I signaled dive boat did not pay attention to whistle/mirror/fin in the air/wave hands/screaming. Experience I don't care to repeat again.
#2 Incompetent dive buddy (that is why I often value quality of diving over quantity of diving)
#3 Death due to a silly reason that I might have overlooked when I was doing my gear check.

There are a few things which usually run through my mind either while I'm diving, about to dive or during a dive holiday:

- drowning (probably my greatest fear),
- the O-Ring in my first stage/cylinder insert breaking and all my air shooting out (so see above!),
- my unintelligent and relatively inexperienced buddy getting into trouble, as he regularly seems to,
- getting stung by something potentially lethal like a stone fish while I'm five miles out to sea and 30m down!
- getting trapped in a cave/canyon and drowning. Er, yeah, see the top one again!

I'm sure there are others that haven't sprung immediately to mind.

#1 Being left out there and or being carried away by current. Happened to me once and no matter how much I signaled dive boat did not pay attention to whistle/mirror/fin in the air/wave hands/screaming. Experience I don't care to repeat again.
#2 Incompetent dive buddy (that is why I often value quality of diving over quantity of diving)
#3 Death due to a silly reason that I might have overlooked when I was doing my gear check.

I had a very scary experience at Elphinstone Reef, Red Sea last year with a ridiculously strong current. A combination of things (over-confidence, too long spent at 40m, my buddy being pre-occupied with someone else and the strong current) meant that I surfaced after only twenty minutes, very scared.

My greatest fear would be reading posts on SB the week after my demise. Observing your peer group rippin your judgment to shreds based on nothing but pure speculation.

Headlines "Another older experienced diver does something really stupid"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom