What is your biggest Fear in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess my biggest fear would be having an incident / accident that didn't kill me but left me a vegatable, unable to do anything but be a drain on everyone around me (my family especailly) and yet still be conscious of the situation. I used to be afraid of death till I watched my mother suffer horribly for 2 years with end stage breast cancer. There are things much worse things than death!

Ditto the wife thing. When my wife first learned to dive I held her hand, all the time on every dive. Then when she got some confidence and I let her go, I worried that she was going to get overconfident. Even now, I look back constantly to make sure she is nearby. I am ridiculously over-protective.

My husband has the same fear: that I will be overconfident and find myself in over my head. It's resulted in some really good discussions which have no doubt strengthened our abilities to evaluate situations (conditions and our own abilities).

When diving together, we have a hard time not obsessing about the other person. Luckily we dive together and separately, so we're progressing down that road. We are enjoying diving together more, and appreciating our own and the others' skills more.

I think one of the best things about Rescue training is the focus on dive planning, site assessment, and problem prevention. This training replaces negative worry with positive planning.

I've always tried to look at things that way, too. For instance, I still get amped by the thought of being without a mask. So, I'm spending some time in the pool swimming without a mask (but breathing through the reg). That way, my mind doesn't run away with the thought, "OMG, what do I do if I lose my mask!?"

Rescue is next on my list; my self set goal is to hit 40 dives before I sign up. I'll be there soon.

My biggest fear, really, is not of one specific thing, but rather that something will cause a situation for which I won't be prepared. That's not overly vague, what I mean is that I fear a situation where I will be called upon but I won't be able to rise to the occasion. I fear having to look back on a situation and consider what I could have/should have done. So that calls me to try to harness my enthusiasm and direct that toward learning, prepardness, and practice.

Looking like an idiot.

My biggest fear is that I would be forced to perform the Warhammer Maneuver. :mooner:

Getting stung by a box jellyfish that's difficult to see would be a distant second. :fear:

Looking like an idiot.

I agree! I don't have any fear of animals but the one thing I don't want to look like is a diver that doesn't seem to know what he/she's doing! I've surfed in the past and have been exposed to all sorts of currents and they don't bother me but if the conditions aren't up to par to be able to complete a safe dive (weather, surge, etc...) I'll just dive another day...

Personal fear would be getting trapped in an overhead environment and not having an air source. This causes me to be very careful about planning such dives.

Dive team fear would be not properly responding to a buddy's emergency and losing him/her. I typically dive with my wife or sons so this is especially personal and it drives me to be as competent as possible about my emergency skills.

Personal fear would be getting trapped in an overhead environment and not having an air source. This causes me to be very careful about planning such dives

Once you go inside an overhead environment it really becomes apparent how many things can go wrong. You can just glance around inside the cabin of a small boat and see dozens of things that could entangle, entrap or puncture your suit of wing, not to mention the possibility of silt out.

I still find that kind of thing enticing though.

Running out of air just as the Blue Whale, Tiger Shark, and Great White swim by just inches from me:( I want to stay forever:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom