What is wrong with Brass Snap-bolts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sasscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a brass double end snap-bolt that I have been using and was wondering why it seems most recommend SS? I use mine in saltwater and give it a good freshwater rinse after every dive. Granted I have only used the current one for about 20 dives but at $1.75 a piece at the Army/Navy surplus center I could replace it cheap. Used plastic ones for years. I only use the current one for securing my SPG console so if it ever did not open I can still safely get out of the BC.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.:D

sasscuba:
I have a brass double end snap-bolt that I have been using and was wondering why it seems most recommend SS? I use mine in saltwater and give it a good freshwater rinse after every dive. Granted I have only used the current one for about 20 dives but at $1.75 a piece at the Army/Navy surplus center I could replace it cheap. Used plastic ones for years. I only use the current one for securing my SPG console so if it ever did not open I can still safely get out of the BC.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.:D
First, there's no need for double ender for attaching SPG - use simple bolt snap attached to SPG using cave line. Second, getting out of BP/W is not solution for jammed bolt snap - just cut the attachment point (cave line).

Why not to use brass? Brass will jam sooner or later and brass bolt snaps usualy have sharp edges. Few SS bolt snaps at $10 piece are still cheap comparing to the prices of other pieces of DIR gear.

Wy wife repeatedly cut open the thumb of an expensive drisuit glove. She kept patching it and doing it again and couldn't figure out how it was happening. Then one day I was putting some stuff together in the shop and had my thumb cut wide open.

I haven't used a brass one since. I've had people tell me that they didn't have any trouble after taking a stone and rounding off the edges si I do't know if some just come sharp from the factory of if they sharpen from friction during use.

Beyond that, it's not just the brass body but what is the spring made out of? Remember, too, that sometimes cave divers stage bottles in the water and leave them for extended periods.

After a ruined dry glove (which is expensive) and a cut thumb, I just don't see saving a few dollars on bolt snaps as much of a plus. It's not like you're going to have big money tied up in bolt snaps.

MikeFerrara:
Wy wife repeatedly cut open the thumb of an expensive drisuit glove. She kept patching it and doing it again and couldn't figure out how it was happening. Then one day I was putting some stuff together in the shop and had my thumb cut wide open.
I had similar situation: one glove cut, one thumb cut - lesson leaned :)

If ya have a sharp edge on the brass, why don't ya just sand it down and save the extra bucks?

the K

I have used brass for years both diving and on the boat. I have never noticed any sharp edges on any of mine (Home Depot varity). As best as I can tell, the springs are SS. Other than a good rinse I don't do any special maint on them. If they did come with a sharp edge, brass is very soft so a quick going over with sand paper should fix the problem.

I have to admit that I used to think the "sharp edges" on brass clips story was something that was used as an excuse to have more expensive clips - until I started a class that kept me in the water for a really long time and required handling stage/deco bottles - after the first pool session, both my thumbs and my buddy's thumbs were covered with tons of tiny cuts from our brass clips. I pulled off all of my clips and replaced them with good quality ss ones and have never had another problem. I think that the problem is a combination of water softened skin (or thin material like dry gloves) and brass clips that either come from the factory with sharp edges or develop sharp edges from use. SS doesn't have quite the same wear problems simply because it is harder and less likely to be sharpened by repetitive use. If you buy less expensive ss clips they may come with sharp edges, but once you round them off they stay that way.

YMMV,

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom