What is wrong with Brass Snap-bolts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
clearly JJ made MikeFerrara, Doc Intrepid, Hoyden and MonkSeal's fingers bleed through his telekinetic powers...
I knew it :lol: I'll try to put some magnetic helmet on next dive to block this influence.

I used them for a bit, but they quickly got sticky, despite taking care of them. I continued to use them because they were cheap, until one cut my glove. That was that.. I threw them all away.

Maybe I was using cheap ones, but even my cheap SS ones haven't hurt me yet, and none of them have gotten sticky. Why risk it?

I'm new to DIR, but my feeling is this: If it's the difference between getting in the water and not, use brass to start, and just replace them over time. They're terribly expensive to replace one at a time here and there, but SS can be a little spendy if you have to buy a LOT all at once. Replace the most frequently-used ones, first, naturally.

From reading this, it seems the biggest issues are stickiness over time and sharpness with extended use. If you replace them on a semi-reasonable timetable, I would think it would be possible to use without problems, and have them gone before they have time to develop the issues presented here.

Seem reasonable, or is this really an all-or-nothing deal-breaker for some?

Put me in with the group that sees no problem using brass. I've got brass snaps that have hundreds of dives on them, probably thousands of operations with no nicks, cuts or bruises. Granted most of them are fresh water dives but dives just the same.

I've had brass snaps get sticky but i've had SS snaps get sticky also. SS will corrode. How much and how fast depends on the quality of the SS. It's just more resistant to corrosion than some other metals.

Jason, I've bled a good amount from brass snaps before. Deep enough to pull the skin apart and take a look inside...
I use SS. Just buy SS from the beginning and stop worrying about the cost. If you're in the DIR forum I hope you're not complaining about the cost of some SS bolt-snaps while buying HIDs and doubles sets...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom