What is Troy Springs Like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basically its a limestone hole dropping to 70'ish(I'm pretty sure I was in the 70s, but I don't have my log at hand as I'm out of town). The water isn't blue like most of the FL springs, but it can still be very clear. The water has a deep green hue to it, very eary, but enjoyable. When I dove it last October, we had 60+' visibility. Water depths will of course vary according to local water levels. There are couple vents on the bottom of the limestone depression, but nothing you can squeeze into.

The run is usually pretty shallow, but contains quite a few mullet, bowfin, turtles, ect. At the end of the run, close to where it meets up with the river, there are remains of an old civil war boat(Madison, who's captain scuttled her to block the entrance of the spring run before leading troops into the wilderness).

TroyDivers.jpg

Troy2.jpg

HossMadTroy.jpg

I had alot of fun diving it, you can see everything you'd like to see with a tank though...

I've done Troy 8 or 10 times. It's a nice hole if you have reasonable skills. You can't take in lights (not that you'd need to) and the river run is probably almost undiveable now. I did it when it was 3ft of water, and I am sure it's less now. I've gotten to 74ft in Troy once. Doubt you'd get 70ft this week. Really not a lot to see in terms of formation, but it's nice to visit once.

Word of warning. Get there before any classes because it gets silty in a HURRY. There is little flow to clear the place out once it gets kicked up.

LOL, I guess everyone has that shot :D

I was just there last Friday and the vis was over 60 ft. From the bottom you could easily make out the trees on the rise above the spring. The max depth is near the mouth of the cave and it is about 72 ft right now, as PerroneFord said, the run is not really divable because of the extremely low water level in the river at this time. It is a nice place to dive on the weekdays and is set up for divers with gear stations and a rinse station, but make sure to bring food and water as there are no other accomodations there.

Chris

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom