What is this tank size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My hydro shop recently did one of mine with the white liner and had no issues with doing it.

I'll buy it now---thank you--lol...........

How Bout dem Tigers.......A lot of Texas Tigers are now flying this.........
wemesswithtexas-vi.jpg

I'll buy it now---thank you--lol...........

How Bout dem Tigers.......A lot of Texas Tigers are now flying this.........
wemesswithtexas-vi.jpg

I was in Omaha for the Arkansas game and the three final championship games.

Cool photos Luis --- very clean interior on that second cylinder. Neat how the interior can be perfectly clean while the outside has been pretty worn.

Here is a picture of the inside of one of my white lined tanks (tank # 02 on my records).
Notice that the light I was using on this picture was just a basic chain light. With this white interior it was OK, but the color balance of that light doesn’t work well with the standard steel tank...

Here is just one of other steel 72 (tank #7) with a high intensity light.

Luis, can you expand on the difference in using these two lights for inspecting steel tanks?

Also, just out of curiosity, where could I find the inspection specs that you referenced earlier in this thread? Thanks!

CivilE

The chain light shown in the white tank has too much red and orange color to take pictures in a non-coated tank. The comment is about color balance for taking picture, not about using it for a basic VIP.

I am still experiment on some techniques for taking interior pictures. I am hoping that in the future it becomes more common to document a VIP with pictures…

I keep detail records of all my tanks inspections and pictures really help.

The DOT CFR 49 refers to CGA document C-6 (Standards for Visual Inspection of Steel Compressed) and C-6.1 (Standards for Visual Inspection of High Pressure Aluminum Compressed Gas Cylinders).

Here are some links to the PSI site:
PSI / PCI

Under the library they have some good information.

You can buy the book here:
http://www.psicylinders.com/zencart/...c5fd953f3c51e2

They offer a good course that I would recommend to anyone interested on doing there own VIP. The only problem is that some LDS do not recognize VIP from individuals.

Luis

Cool photos Luis --- very clean interior on that second cylinder. Neat how the interior can be perfectly clean while the outside has been pretty worn.

What, you don’t like the exterior of that tank… that is a beautiful tank!!!

That tank isn't worn….it's seasoned!

Geaux Tigers

c

An update. I took the tank in to be inspected. It had rust in it. it also had a brownish coating inside. The shop said the tank would need to be tumbled for 40 hours to remove the coating. This would cost more than I could buy new tank for. At the least it would need to be tumbled to remove the biggest spot of rust and it may not be any good after that if the rust is too deep. How do they know how deep the rust is? is there any way to measure it? I hate to lose the tank, was really looking forward to diving with it. In this area these seem to be very difficult to come by. Any one have any thoughts on this?

Luis, if you look on your camera there's a pretty good chance you can change the color balance. Set it to "incandescent" (or something equivalent) and that light will be represented as a much whiter color.

Let me get you a photo of my 72s and we'll compare. :wink: Something tells me yours have seen more action though...mine have a few gaps in the hydro dates, which I am taking to indicate that they were probably sitting in someone's garage.

edit:
Tank photos...
I suppose I should also mention that these are technically my wife's cylinders. :wink:

What you guys really need is a tank cat. :D This is what happens when you set the doubles down on the Lay-Z-Boy and are too lazy to move them...and then remember that's the cat's favorite spot.
tanks1.jpg

Previous owner took a permanent market to try and highlight the fading cylinder markings. I tried to remove it awhile back and halfway succeeded but not fully -- any suggestions?
tanks2.jpg

Last edited:
The only problem is that some LDS do not recognize VIP from individuals.

Luis

I know, and this really pisses me off!
I have been cleaning and sevicing my own tanks for years. Some of the employees they have working in dive shops don't know anything more or better than me or many others doing their own VIP's.
They are just mad because they missed out on an opportunity to charge 15 to 20 bucks for taking a 10 second peek into the tank. running a small mirror in and looking at the neck, putting on a new O-ring and filling the tank.

I check my tanks about three times a year to just to make sure the local dive shops aren't trashing my tanks with oil and water.

Back
Top Bottom