What is this little guy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a member of the hawkfish family and my guess is that it is a freckled hawkfish (Paracirrhites forsteri).

They usually sit perched on top of rocks or corals and when they spot a prey (small fish, shrimp) they swoop down like a hawk, hence the name. They are very common in saltwater aquaria.

It the wild they grow to about a foot.

RB

It's a Redspotted Hawkfish. It's common in the Caribbean but it's also the only Hawkfish found in the Caribbean. It took me several years to find my first one!

Thx for the info all!

This shot was taken off of Paradise Reef (Cozumel) early this week.

He was 2-3" in lenght..so a young-un by standards perhaps.

Cheers,
~Crazy_J
:doctor:

Is this a cousin? Shot at Izu - close to Tokyo last weekend. Depth about 10m and he'd just finished eating a crab dinner. C5050.

I agree it is a fine example of the Redspotted Hawkfish (amblycirrhitus pinos) and full size is less than 4 inches so that is close to being an adult my book says. The one eating crab legs I would like to check out.

PeterD once bubbled...
Is this a cousin? Shot at Izu - close to Tokyo last weekend. Depth about 10m and he'd just finished eating a crab dinner. C5050.

Perhaps a Rockfish? Brown Rockfish
(Sebastes auriculatus)

Ideas / Thoughts?

Cheers,
~Crazy_J
:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom