What is the purpose of PADI Junior Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am keeping in mind the thread on Agency bashing... what is it and why we don't allow it. I would like to ask if anyone has experience with or opinions about the new PADI "Junior Divemaster" certification. In a junior lifeguard program the trainees would be expected to start serving as lifeguards as soon as they are old enough. Are divers (most of whom are older) going to be interested in being guided by a divemaster who isn't old enough to drink in many countries? The other PADI junior certifications appear to have the same requirements but add restrictions for safety, but this one has reduced requirements as well, so you can't just convert it into the adult cert when you're old enough.

Here's a program description I found from one of the "beta testers" of the program:
PADI Junior Dive Master Course | The Adventure Starts Here $US750 including equipment rental but not air.

£345, plus £195 Divemaster eLearning.
Not included are entry fees for the dive sites (£15 – £22 per day) and additional air fills (£5 per fill).

The eLearning is for DM, but I don't know if there is time limit on using it for actual DM or whether one is charged again for the eLearning when they sign up for real DM. If one has to double pay, why bother.

It looks like a great way to give young divers that may want to become professional Divemasters or Instructors a way to gain experience and spend time learning what they need to know, instead of doing a zero to hero course when they turn 18. If that had been available when I was 15 I would have probably gone that route and spent a lot less time partying.

Are divers (most of whom are older) going to be interested in being guided by a divemaster who isn't old enough to drink in many countries?
I do not see 'lead dives' under the things they can do. Mostly lots of 'help out ahead of time' things. And being the buddy in a buddy demo. Depending on what 'shore support means'. Read the description you linked carefully. They can give the dive briefing while supervised. I agree, it sounds like a good 'get involved productively' program.

It would be interesting to know if they need insurance coverage or if that is covered under their supervising pro. And if they are pros and have any duty of care.

It looks like a great way to give young divers that may want to become professional Divemasters or Instructors a way to gain experience and spend time learning what they need to know, instead of doing a zero to hero course when they turn 18. If that had been available when I was 15 I would have probably gone that route and spent a lot less time partying.

Yeah, but didn't you have more fun partying?

Magnificent, and you may not have become Lost

Are divers (most of whom are older) going to be interested in being guided by a divemaster who isn't old enough to drink in many countries? The other PADI junior certifications appear to have the same requirements but add restrictions for safety, but this one has reduced requirements as well, so you can't just convert it into the adult cert when you're old enough

The point most people will miss, is there is certainly a market albeit small for this.

I've seen a growing group of dedicated young divers, who get their certs during organised school outdoor weeks. They often have none diving parents, but take every opportunity to want to dive. Each year dive centres around here get requests for internships.

I see this as an extension of summer camp, where the Junior DM gets taster experience. There is no way they'll be allowed to be placed in any capacity of and responsibility - so they won't be leading dives etc.

We've done this informally, and I've had one shadowing me, however it must be stressed that if I'm on a dive with customers, and the intern is with me, I'm their buddy and NOT the lead diver of the group (just tagging along to give experience)

Sure it's another revenue stream, and dive centres need all they can get, but equally for those of the younger community who are enthusiastic about out sport, then I'm all for encouraging them in a sensible structured and safe way

It looks like it is a distinctive specialty, and not a general PADI course, so the shop made a course that they saw a market for. If they deal with a lot of youth diving programs, I can see having a "top tier" class as an attractive goal for the kids.

Of course they aren't going to be able to lead dives or other supervisory roles because they can't assume liability as a minor.

Back
Top Bottom