What is the purpose of PADI Junior Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To get back on track, I do feel like there is a struggle to balance the opportunities for young people with the aptitude to develop skill.....
Are we talking about diving or the public school system?

This seems to be a common problem. I think people may not grasp that this program isn't for every single 15 year old, but for those with the interest, aptitude, and motivation to pursue the knowledge and obtained from this course.

First, I am not sure I see why people seem to be objecting to people that age getting that kind of training. If people can explain that, I would appreciate it.

I think the original post hits on the answer to this question. Junior OW... same training as regular OW, and the course has the same objective: allow younger people to qualify as OW divers. The same principle for JAOW, Rescue, etc.

PADI knows that the title "Divemaster" has a powerful marketing draw. How often have we encountered excited new divers who insist they want to be divemasters? When asked about their plan, their motivation, we find it's usually because... it "sounds cool." And they're excited about diving.

No one objects to teenaged divers having access to this training. I think the objection is mostly to the perceived deception: a Junior DM cannot perform many of the primary functions of a standard DM.

Once could argue that the JDM training provides a pathway to full DM training. While this is true, it does not require that the Junior program be called "Junior Divemaster". In the standard DM course, divers can be given credit for certain portions if they have completed the Deep Dive or S&R specialties. So there is already precedent for training outside the DM course to be used as part of the DM course. If the intent of the Junior DM course was truly to provide teens with practical training that could then be applied to the full DM course, the Junior course could be called something else... just as the Deep and S&R specialties don't mention "divemaster".

So back to your question: no one is objecting to the training; the objections (as always... this is not a new issue) are to the perceived money grab by using the label "divemaster" where, it could be argued, it's not appropriate.

I think the original post hits on the answer to this question. Junior OW... same training as regular OW, and the course has the same objective: allow younger people to qualify as OW divers. The same principle for JAOW, Rescue, etc.

PADI knows that the title "Divemaster" has a powerful marketing draw. How often have we encountered excited new divers who insist they want to be divemasters? When asked about their plan, their motivation, we find it's usually because... it "sounds cool." And they're excited about diving.

No one objects to teenaged divers having access to this training. I think the objection is mostly to the perceived deception: a Junior DM cannot perform many of the primary functions of a standard DM.

Once could argue that the JDM training provides a pathway to full DM training. While this is true, it does not require that the Junior program be called "Junior Divemaster". In the standard DM course, divers can be given credit for certain portions if they have completed the Deep Dive or S&R specialties. So there is already precedent for training outside the DM course to be used as part of the DM course. If the intent of the Junior DM course was truly to provide teens with practical training that could then be applied to the full DM course, the Junior course could be called something else... just as the Deep and S&R specialties don't mention "divemaster".

So back to your question: no one is objecting to the training; the objections (as always... this is not a new issue) are to the perceived money grab by using the label "divemaster" where, it could be argued, it's not appropriate.
I am totally lost here. If they do the same training as the divemaster course, why should it get a different name? What other courses teach the basic OW skills to demonstration level? Which of the other courses teach the leadership components of the course?

I am totally lost here. If they do the same training as the divemaster course, why should it get a different name? What other courses teach the basic OW skills to demonstration level? Which of the other courses teach the leadership components of the course?

because it causes confusion about what they can and cannot do. if they cannot lead dives, cannot assist with instruction giving them a name that implies they are able to will cause confusion. I know it does not go with the PADI "junior" theme but Assistant Divemaster would seem more appropriate given the limitations of their potential duties.

but Assistant Divemaster would seem more appropriate given the limitations of their potential duties.
Are they allowed to assist DMs in a professional role?

Seems like they are more "assistant to the divemaster", to steal a line from The Office.

I pulled this from the Poole Diving UK site. so looks like they can do surface duties, assist in demonstrating skills, and do surface briefings under supervision. Sounds like an assistant to me.

Jr Divemaster Duties
Once qualified as a jr. Divemaster, you will be able to do

• dive site setup and management
  • surface support
  • Assist a PADI Instructor in 2 person skill demos
  • Dive Site briefings (Supervised)
  • Environmental and promotional presentations
You will not be able to work in a supervisory role until you’ve turned 18 and completed the full Divemaster course.

This is completely off-topic, but I wonder if they shouldn't have made a musical about the Marquis de Lafayette. He did everything you said, but also came to the U.S. not knowing the language, and as an illegal emigrant. Yes, emigrant. The king had forbidden him to leave but he snuck out anyway!
Hamilton.

While the Jr. certification doesn't allow someone to lead a dive, it sounds like they could re-certify quickly (possibly in less than a day?) and become a full DM on their 18th birthday with only 40 dives. I would not choose to have such a person accompany me. Part of that is the PADI standards for DMs being (in my mind) very loose, but there is also an aspect of maturity that comes up when a young person is receiving training.

I'm going to conflate some standards because I teach SDI rather than PADI, but I imagine they are similar at least. To START the DM class you have to have 40 dives, to complete it, you have to have 60 dives and you must do a minimum of 10 dives during the course. So theoretical Jr DM has at least 60 dives, does no diving between finishing the course and turning 18, immediately takes the full DM course, does 10 more dives, so 70 MINIMUM. I would imagine that someone that is motivated enough to do all that work, will do some additional diving between courses or even better do more than the minimum in class. I would imagine that 80-100 dives would be more likely.

Contrasted to a non-junior DM, that takes class after class and only has 60 dives once they have squeaked by earning their DM, and all of the dives were in the same lake or quarry.

Regarding maturity, I teach college kids almost exclusively. Some are great, some are dummer than rocks when it comes to some life skills. When I see a group of them doing something exceptionally dumb (it's always a group), I have to remember they are just starter people. High school kids are proto-people, so at least they have moved up! The proto-people hopefully won't be the Jr. DMs.

Back
Top Bottom