What is the perfect SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Ford Expedition and it works beautifully. But if you were to ask some of the diving gurus at Gitmo (that's Guantanamo Bay NAS), anything that gets you to the dive site and has at least one seat and some room for your dive gear is just perfect!

Scubaguy62:
I have a Ford Expedition and it works beautifully. But if you were to ask some of the diving gurus at Gitmo (that's Guantanamo Bay NAS), anything that gets you to the dive site and has at least one seat and some room for your dive gear is just perfect!

no.... from what I heard, seats are optional there. The cars there are all pretty much sold as hand me downs from person deployed there to the next. That's pretty common on a lot of the military bases.

Greg 454, Your statements seem contradictory. You say that we humans are part of the food chain. I agree. But if we are, why are some people upset about bears eating people? If we're part of the food chain, let's accept the implications of that, and stop complaining when those man-eating Michigan deer snatch someone off the street and eat them. I live in NJ, and unfortunately we have not had any bears attack people yet. Sooner or later, one of them will eat a cute little pre-schooler, or someone's grandma, but so what? Grandma eats chickens, and bears eat grandma. I'm all for it. Like you, I think it's fine if bears hunt people. It's only fair, and it's part of our obligation as part of the food chain to occasionally be food. Right?

Greg, an ecologist is someone who studies all the connections in nature. It's not a political position, it's an academic specialization. Environmentalism is a social and political attitude. Many of us environmentalists are hunters and fisherman. I enjoy both. I've even killed a bear, (NY State), a few deer (no Michigan maneaters, though), and vast numbers of fish, ducks, pheasants, quail, etc. My environmentalism, which is basically a commitment to preserving the natural wild environment, developed as a result of being a hunter and a fisherman, and also a diver. I oppose those elements that contribute to the destruction of forests and reefs, including too many people, too much construction, and the excessive consumption of things like land, oil, electricity, forest products, food, etc.

I think 'Treehugger' is a derogatory term invented by people who want to act like pigs. In fact, it's so inflammatory and disturbing that it may violate Scubaboard's Terms of Service. I'm not a punk, though, so I won't complain to management.

"why are some people upset about bears eating people?"

---Because we are a superior animal. To PETA, a human baby is the same as a cockroach, they can't tell the difference. Fortunately, we are not PETA.

I'm glad you enjoy hunting. You realize that most environmentalists in California and eastern Michigan would be shocked to hear that!

"I think 'Treehugger' is a derogatory term invented by people who want to act like pigs. In fact, it's so inflammatory and disturbing that it may violate Scubaboard's Terms of Service. I'm not a punk, though, so I won't complain to management."

---Understood. However, I also find it inflammatory when others condemn people who drive SUV's. It's a matter of opinion. Maybe instead of telling each other what to drive we could try respecting individual choices?

If we don't, we'll end up like California where SUV vandalism and eco-terrorism are quite common.

Having recently totalled my Saab 9-2X (aka Saabaru, the pretty Impreza wagon) I find myself also in the market. (FYI, I'm fine, not even a bruise. The Impreza is a damn safe car)
Popular = pickup with bed cap/topper (required for instructors?)
Ultimate = custom trailer (or one of those 4x4 vans)
Eco Friendly = well maintained used vehicle

Personally, I'm seriously looking at the new Subaru Forester Sports XT ($26,620 MSRP)
sport1.jpg

I also autocross and this car can do both, or I need a pickup + miata to 'cover' everything.

+1 enviroment

the key point is that we are people who enjoy an outdoor sport and therefore we can and should consider the environmental impact of our decisions

I'm no Saint, and I don't think a single vehicle purchase matters... but I'm certain that small impacts eventually add up to major impacts. Imagine what your favorite dive sites must have been like XX years ago (or virgin wrecks) ...

in more catchy terms, don't sh:t where you play

Greg, I read through my messages, and I don't think I ever tried to tell anyone what to drive. I stated my personal choices. I also indicated that I thought some vehicles were wasteful and therefore harmful. That was very mild criticism, compared to the language and insults thrown around by folks who fear that someone is trying to confiscate the keys to their Hummer, or interfere with their right to plow up publicly owned forests with earsplittingly noisy gas-powered off-road mini-tractors. I also have a thing about the comic book brained jet skier crowd, but I think many scubadivers and virually all serious snorklers would like to see these people confined to their own bathtubs and backyard pools.

PETA and environmentalists have no connections that I am aware of at all. Most of these PETA types are at least slightly crazy, motivated by an ignorant extremism, sort of like the people who send money to televangelists. Most hunters, divers, and fisherman that I know, and the organizations we belong to, are strong environmentalists. PETA people I have seen seem to be indoor types, with thick glasses, spotty complexions, and no style sense at all.

Humans a "superior animal"? You must be kidding. Go to any mall, or watch the crowd at NASCAR refreshment stands. You'll get over that bizarre fantasy pretty quickly.
In terms of nature, the superior animal is the one that prevails, in each individual encounter. The bear that eats the human, or the shark that lunches on your buttocks is the superior animal, in that encounter. Unless you believe in some sort of human-favoring supernatural being, in which case you are back in the same category as the PETA nutcases.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the human baby/roach comparison, but it seems to me the differences are clear. Babies are much bigger, and roaches are far more self-sufficient. You can only fit two or three babies in a five gallon bucket, but many hundreds of roaches can easily fit in the same container. If PETA members can't tell the difference, just think of the practical jokes you can play on them. "OK Mrs. Smith, here is your baby. Yes, he is kind of small. Those antennae things? All kids have them". You could switch PETA member baby pictures with photos cut out of exterminator advertisements.

"Imagine what your favorite dive sites must have been like XX years ago (or virgin wrecks) ..."

---Actually, as a wreck grows older, it's more likely to have more fish, corals, and the like. Salt water is extremely corrosive no matter what we do.

Wrecks on lakes on the other hand do last longer.

The environment is important, granted, but so is human interest.

Well, Greg, wrecks are really not part of the natural world, are they? The longer they stay down, in most cases, the more natural they become. I think what is meant by a virgin wreck is not a newly sunk wreck, but one that has not had countless divers crawling over it for years and years.

I remember the Keys, the Miami area, Government Cut, the bay, etc. from the 1960s. These places are now only a shadow of what they once were. Some of them are still fun to dive, especially if you don't know how they used to look. You can't miss or mourn for what you never knew. There are places in Florida that will break your heart if you remember them as they once were. This is true almost everywhere I have dived. Too much of the human touch is poison. Unfortunately, we are a filthy, messy, destructive species. Human interest, unless we are limiting the term to a type of journalism, tends to be fatally corrosive.

I like to fish but if I have to lumped in with a group I would rather be a conservationist. I take what I need from the environment no more and often times less. There is a difference between the two.

As far as fitting two or three babies in a five gallon bucket. Are you sure? 'Cause I tried to put mine in one and he barely even fit. I couldn't even get the lid on. I even tried cramming him down in there pretty tight. Maybe your using a bigger bucket. More like a ten gallon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom