What is the perfect SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a Jeep Wrangler you can put the windshield down and drive to the divesite with your mask on your face,...or wear sunglasses and put the mask on your forehead.

skynscuba:
Your buddy's.
Works great ,when DTB1981 had his toyota Hi-ace and i had my town ace in Japan the gear kept moving back and forth between the vans.

jeraldjcook:
I read an article not too long ago that compared the "total fuel efficiency" of a H2 and a Toyota Prius, from obtaining the raw materials to 150,000 miles (or so, I don't remember the exact mileage). The article concluded that over the ENTIRE life of the vehicle the H2 is more efficient. This horrible mpg from the H2 was more than canceled out by the technological costs of the Prius. Because of the added electrical systems, battery (especially the battery), added computers, the overall energy and resources needed for the Prius to reach the 150,000 miles was greater than that of the H2. I'll see if I can find a link to the article.

Edit: By the way, I drive a Civic. :D
Edit v2.0: http://www.reason.org/commentaries/dalmia_20060719.shtml
and here (different article) http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy/
That CNW report has been debunked so many times on CleanMPG, GreenHybrid, and other sites. Hell, even Toyota got sick of the lies and posted their own thoughts.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/10/05/oh-so-a-hummer-is-not-greener-a-prius/

What is clear, however, is that the conclusions appear to be very different from the results of several other rigorous, scientifically-reviewed studies of the lifecycle impact of vehicles (e.g. Argonne National Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
  • Example 1: These studies conclude that the majority (80-85%) of the total lifetime energy use of a vehicle comes from the driving stage, with the remainder coming from the remaining stages of a vehicle life, whereas the CNW study shows these percentages to be reversed.
  • Example 2: Two Toyota models mentioned in the report, the Scion xA and xB sold only in the USA, are engineered with the same processes, built on the same assembly line, transported and shipped together, distributed through the same dealer network, have the same engines and transmissions, are about the same weight (within 50 lbs.), and have very similar fuel consumption ratings (one just over 35 mpg combined, the other just below 35), yet the CNW study shows the lifetime energy use of these vehicles to be very different (53 per cent).
  • Example 3: The CNW study states that hybrids require more lifetime energy than even large SUVs. Toyota's internal analysis does conclude that there is more energy required in the materials production stage for a hybrid, but that this is overwhelmingly made up for in the driving stage (the 80-85% stage), causing the hybrid to have a significantly lower lifetime energy use.
There are also basic factual errors in the report, for example CNW claim that the hybrid batteries are not recycled.
Dear H2 owners,

pWn3d.

Sincerely,
Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive and Honda Integrated Motor Assist

:D

Yo WARRENZevon,
I get to the water by driving there, in a gas-efficient smaller car. I don't drive anywhere close enough for me to walk or bike, and in a general way try to use less (not no) fuel. Moderation is the key word. The idea is not to be wasteful, to be conscious of the precarious situation the natural world is in, aware of the fact that there are way too many people for the planet, of the sad reality that we Americans use much more than our share of the earth's energy and resources, that the world's non-human communities have as much right to live as we do, that the only supernatural belief systems stating that the world belongs to humans were written by those same humans and therefore have no validity, and that the shts gonna hit the fan almost certainly in your lifetime, if not in mine.
In essence, just try to not be a bloated energy farting fatuous slob, and us greenies will be satisfied.

Coldiver1:
If you have a Jeep Wrangler you can put the windshield down and drive to the divesite with your mask on your face,...or wear sunglasses and put the mask on your forehead.

MOF. :no That has to mean that you are in distress while driving. :rofl3: :rofl3: I would also think that must mean that your perfect scuba car does not make you happy.

My car is an amphibious underwater submersion vehicle. I simply drive it into the water, and it becomes a boat- I scoot over to the dive site, roll up the windows and blow the balast tanks. The car settles to the bottom- maximum depth 300 feet, and then once the pressure equalizes, I roll down the drivers window and swim out. It's a real time saver and I get more bottom time because I don't have to waste time on the ascent and descent. The only problem is that it takes a while for the seats to dry out after the dive.

jonnythan:
The H3 puts out ~11.1 tons of emissions per year.

A Civic puts out ~5.5 tons, the same as a Jetta or Corolla.

A Prius puts out about 3.4 tons per year.

If you're going to seriously tell me that all of those numbers are really about the same, then we're going to have some words :)

I didn't mean to imply the numbers were the same. What I meant was that it's the same gas. Therefore it is still polluting the environment. I just don't understand how or why someone thinks they are a better person because they drive a small car.

Until alternative fuels are more developed and become mainstream then it's all rhetorical bs. Like I said before if you are operating a vehicle, any vehicle, you are polluting the environment. It doesn't matter how many tons of emissions it puts out per year. It's still releasing emissions.

Sure you can argue that less emissions are better. I've also listened to my brother and sister debate why ones ultra light cigarettes are better than the others mediums. Neither is any safer than the other. The end result is still gonna be the same. Maybe it might be a slower process.

:D Yeah I know- I just thought it was a good way to mix the two.

I'd never use that phrase, Blue Tide. Those are your words, probably the result of cerebral toxins produced while contemplating oversized vehicles. If I gave the impression that I thought of myself as a better person, I sincerely apologize.

A person with more refined sensibilities and a clearer vision of cause and effect, yes, perhaps. Even in those categories I'm not sure. You may actually be a responsible individual, committed to doing your part to reduce the negative effects we all have on the environment. The things you wrote may be nothing more than role-playing, part of some school project. Perhaps you lost a bet, and are in consequence required to act like a buffoon. Maybe it's all just part of your Halloween costume.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom