What is the life of a "dive bum" like ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the posts. I am sure the reality is a lot less glamorous than it looks. It does seem a difficult lifestyle to maintain, especially when wives and children enter the picture with attendant pressure for more financial security.

Like Scoobydrew, every once in a while I feel like quitting the corporate gig/rat race and going to do something fun and adventurous for a year or two. Not likely - but it is nice to dream.

Per a suggestion on this thread, I picked up a copy of "Does This Island Go to the Bottom" by Eric Pasley. Only $3 from Amazon to read it on my tablet. Easy, fun read. Pretty entertaining.

He worked at 2 or 3 different places in the Caribbean. I forget the first two but the last place was Aruba (which he said has some great wreck dives). Didn't make much money but had a great time. Most of the work consisted of teaching Discover Scuba classes to tourists off of the big cruise ships. Of course, when he finally met his wife and was ready to get married and have kids, he moved off-island back to the States.

Diving as a way of living can easily turn into a "job". One of the aspects of the diving you do now is you normally don't have an agenda besides looking around and enjoying the dive. There are people that build things underwater. For them the underwater part can be just a hassle. There is the science aspect of diving. Marine biology. I worked with current biologist as well as future biologist. The work was fun and interesting. I was able to work 20 years at it because of those two reasons.

The instructors and DM's I've known over the years have made a living diving but none were high paying. A passion for diving helps them through the lean times. I don't think the "dive bum" lifestyle fits all. It works for some but most people want a bit more balance to life.

You might think of a way to try out the lifestyle without losing your job. If you have the certification required you could try working for a dive company for free a week or so during one of your vacations. If you like it, you can spend more vacations that way. If you fall into something that looks worth changing lifestyle, go for it. That's what are dreams are for... Adventure-Ocean

I think working in a shop for someone, even in a resort area is more a "dive slave" type job.

A true dive bum….well, either you have the money to travel and dive anywhere, whenever you want. Or, you choose to live somewhere that has great diving. You can then dive as much as you want, where you want, when you want. That's the key. Diving with customers isn't so much fun after a while. I only did if for a year but I began to envy my Filipino buddy who had his own boat and did his own dives. Much better.

My observation of young expats in various countries working as DMs is that they do work incredibly hard but since they are young and strong and have their own little community they are having a pretty good time until they aren't. And then theyll move on to another country to continue their world journey or pack it in and go back home to their real world. Some can't make the transition back home and end up back in another country doing the diving. Sometimes an opportunity to do other work in that country will come up and they progress.

My advice to anyone wanting to check out the life, is sign up to become a dm in Roatan or Koh Tao or the like. Once your dm is achieved and you are still considering the life stay on as a dm for a while. Oh and don't forget to have a little bankroll from home and a return ticket in place.

I think working in a shop for someone, even in a resort area is more a "dive slave" type job.

A true dive bum….well, either you have the money to travel and dive anywhere, whenever you want. Or, you choose to live somewhere that has great diving. You can then dive as much as you want, where you want, when you want. That's the key. Diving with customers isn't so much fun after a while. I only did if for a year but I began to envy my Filipino buddy who had his own boat and did his own dives. Much better.
Well by this definition, this Filipino-American -yours truly- is living the Life then. Dive, sail or surf in the morning at SoCal mainland beaches or offshore, then go work on the pm swing shift (and trail sand/saltwater all over the workplace).:wink:

The most active tropical Scuba Club in the Pacific:
Kwajalein Scuba Club

If you have the job qualifications and are a US Citizen --you won't have to live like a bum:

https://www.krsjv.com/Pages/CareersNew.aspx

i fall into this group. yes indeed dive bum of sorts. You can always find a dive out here, 7 days a week if you wanted.

Yes, you have to grind it out 8 hours a day at work, but hey your in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts and birkenstocks while your at work.

Have to caveat, its called "almost paradise" by most. we have our own politico issues to deal with.

just short of 4 years into it, going to have to call it quits this year. its been real, its been fun but i have to get back to "reality" soon enough and escape from peter pan island. i wont rule coming back later in life.

C

I am not a dive bum...I did however as a social experiment ask these questions to one of my very good friends, whom got out of the Navy and is the classic example of a dive bum. here are his quaint answers:

1) How did you get into this lifestyle
By accident
2) What qualifications did you need
Diver

3) How many days a week do you usually dive
5-6

4) Best part of lifestyle
The women

5) Worst part of lifestyle
The women with VD

6) Favorite dive location
in the water

7) At what age do you think you will stop this lifestyle? What then?
When I Die.

I hope your friend does not die from VD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom