What is the fundamental reason that prevents scuba diving from becoming popular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just as a final point, I believe that almost all agencies do a very poor job teaching emergency ascents. During my 17 years as professional, I have twice had extensive discussions with PADI about this. I did not convince them either time, and they did not convince me. The main benefit to those discussions is that I really know well what their beliefs are.

One problem I have is that they do not include the information I posted above about the regulator being able to deliver air during the ascent. Their explanation for that is that while it may be true in a normal OOA ascent, it is possible that there was some sort of regulator failure that would make it inoperable at any depth. (That is what they are really training you for--a truly rare regulator failure, not going OOA.)

A second problem is the exercise they do in the pool sessions called the air depletion exercise. In that exercise, the instructor is supposed to shut off the student's air, and the student is supposed to signal OOA upon realizing they have no air. I imagine that for the last couple decades, people have wondered what the point of that might be. Well, if you go back and read the literature when the idea was first hatched, you see the point of it. Regulators were not as good then, and it would feel harder to breathe as you got close to zero. The point was to get you to recognize that you were about to run out of air so you could prepare for it. With modern regulators, you will not experience that with your air shut off in the bottom of a swimming pool. It will, however, happen at depth with a tank that is low on air. You should have a warning of a couple breaths before you are OOA. The air depletion exercise teaches students the opposite of its original intent. (In this exercise, you can mimic a true OOA experience by almost, but not quite, shutting off the student's air. In that case, they will feel it getting harder to breathe.)

The main problem is the horizontal CESA in the pool. Students have to swim relatively slowly for 30 feet while exhaling the whole way. Most students find that difficult, and instructors resort to a host of tricks to get them to make it the whole way. Many have to try it more than once to make it. It is difficult because even if they ascend on a diagonal from the deep end of the pool, they are not getting the true expanding air experience. This teaches them the exact wrong thing--in a real emergency from any deeper than that, I won't make it!

A joint PADI/DAN study about a decade ago found that the most common cause of death in a scuba accident (not talking about things like heart attacks) is an air embolism following a panicked ascent to the surface, usually following an OOA incident. In other words, the divers likely died because they held their breath doing an emergency ascent after going OOA. I fully believe that many of those deaths were caused by the "I'm never going to make it!" belief instilled in students during their initial training.

Made a CESA from 40m about 30 years ago and it's not nice and can go very wrong. So definitely don't bother with it if possible. The idea of breathing from the BCD I think came from the use of crack bottles on the early BC,s but people got sick from bacteria in the bladders so that's a bad idea too. My old Nemrod

Attachments

• 20220511_125135.jpg
    20220511_125135.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 45
In many cases, yes. I mentioned earlier that PADI wrote an open letter to dive operation and government employees in Belize fairly begging them to take action to stop new OW divers from diving the Great Blue Hole at 40m.

OK Not where I dive though the places I dive wont take OW to deep dive sites. A lot of dive sites they will simply list as requiring AOW as they are all boat dives as well. A friend of mine who is an instructor was asked to prove he had deep dive quals on a LOB in Egypt. He showed them his TDI AN DECO cert to 45m and they were fine with that but not his instructor cert.

I do not believe it's typical of a lot of places to take OW certs to 40m.

I dove 58m on air to anchor a net back to a cement block. STUPID but I had no choice cause I wanted to get paid. I

BS You had a choice, and your choice was to do a dive for the money. You chose that over not doing the dive and not getting any money.
Don't play the victim here that you were forced to do a 58m dive on air. You simply decided it was worth the risk for a monetary reward.
You are easily bought and paid for. You could simply have refused on the basis that dive was too dangerous.

You chose to ignore a diver can call a dive for any reason or even not even get in the water in the first place. It was all about the money ruling your decision.

A DiveMaster has some skills, but they're very much limited to the NDL limits along with the basic shallow-water equipment and protocols. Nothing like the skills and equipment used by the technical divers.

I enjoy diving with DM's in Asia. Often dive ops do not allow customers to put their kit on the boat and have the DM's and boat crew do that for you and help you kit up on the boat. DM's are like valets who help you out and guide you around.

Different skill sets for different certs. My BSAC sports diving certified me for deco dives. Don't do so many anymore as my vacation diving is often done at places that run dives within NDL. More places are starting to offer deco deep dives for customers so I will do the TDI AN Deco course this year as some dive sites are in that 35m to 45m depth where longer times warrant deco dives.

Also in Asia a lot of working DM's had their course part or fully funded by an employer with a minimum work contract as they cannot afford to pay for the courses themselves. Very few local instructors to the numbers of foreign instructors.

Mainly the deco dives are done with foreigners who live locally in the area and are often married locally so they had the finances to become instructors who then went into technical diving.

What is the fundamental reason that prevents scuba diving from becoming popular?​

A thread like this one on scubaboard in the New Divers and Those Considering Diving forum?

It's my fault Bob.

Just as a final point, I believe that almost all agencies do a very poor job teaching emergency ascents.
The main problem is the horizontal CESA in the pool.

I was taught to get into the vertical position to do an emergency ascent. I never thought it would be taught with divers in horizontal trim which does not make sense to me. I suppose in some sense if you are OOA and have someone you can signal to at same depth you would swim to them in horizontal trim.

Now look at this video I am the diver in blue shorts following a friend. Another friend with another diver who did not want to dive as deep followed along above us. If I was OOA I could ascend to the diver above me faster than swimming to the diver in front of me. Even if I bang my tank the diver in front may not hear me.

Made a CESA from 40m about 30 years ago and it's not nice and can go very wrong. So definitely don't bother with it if possible. The idea of breathing from the BCD I think came from the use of crack bottles on the early BC,s but people got sick from bacteria in the bladders so that's a bad idea too. My old Nemrod

OK so you advise don't do a CESA from 40m when OOA. What other course of action apart from drowning do you recommend.
I'd rather risk a curable lung infection or a slight case of treatable DCS than a drowning. I not not have the confidence in myself that I could do a CESA from that depth. I could be wrong but never plan on testing that out.

We need to acknowledge that many life saving techniques are extremely uncomfortable and as you noted, can go wrong.

Ask anyone who has had CPR how they feel with having had their ribs cracked or broken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom