What is the fundamental reason that prevents scuba diving from becoming popular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personal experience and common sense. The folks I encounter at pick-up hoops, like I said, all they need to participate in this hobby is a pair of sneakers - and alot of those sneaks are in bad shape. The folks I see hiking dont seem to be carrying expensive equipment either - I dont see alot of cameras or binoculars, just folks taking in the great outdoors. I wont bother to google it, but I'll assume there are way more hoopers & hikers than scuba divers out there.

If you want data, the median household income in the US was $67,000 in 2020. Most folks in the US are barely scraping by. Compare that to the demographic info CuzzA posted about OW students, who have more disposable income. I can tell you that when I was younger and poorer - comparable to the median US income - getting into scuba was cost prohibitive. Hoops, hiking and biking was more accessible. Only when I started making more $$ did scuba become more viable for me.

Maybe its different in other countries, but I doubt it.
I think you answered your own question already. "Maybe its different in other countries, but I doubt it."

Also, the AV income in the US needs a further breakdown.
From what I've seen, distribution is quite miscellaneous, for example, folks in Mississippi have almost half the income of those in Massachusetts. Also the middle class in the US is around 50% of the population while the upper-middle is around 10-12% and the high-class around 10%. In rough (non-official) numbers, out of 330.000.000 people, 66.000.000 (20%) should afford Scuba Diving...

As I previously wrote, my impression is that other factors like TIME are more relevant, especially the richer you become. Perhaps that's the irony, People with no money wish to dive while the ones that have it, are to absorbed making more :wink:

Cost may be a factor, but is the $100-150k threshold in the survey for NEW divers seeking certification? I got certified in 1998 and had a landscaping job at the time. I bought my own gear, dived locally and took a few drives down to the Keys and had a blast, but I was pretty broke. We also dove on the occasional vacation. Cheap ones...to Mexico. Now I have an income that is significantly higher and is actually well above the average threshold given, but I'm also not a new diver, so what is the demographic? New divers or all OW divers? I also know that my OW students are often (I would argue mostly) students, service industry workers, and other "lower average income" earners who have a sense of adventure and love of the outdoors. Not poor, but not rich. They simply do what we/I did back in the day. They prioritize the sport over other things and make sacrifices to be able to afford it. As my wife says, "Cheap **** ain't cool, and cool **** ain't cheap!" 🤣
I totally agree with you. I also started my 'long' diving career in 2002. My average income back then was quite limited (Greece) but money was never a deterring factor not to venture into the deep :)
I experienced the same as a Divemaster. With all those classes, the majority of folks weren't wealthy or above average but still, felt the urge to dive.

That happens in the majority of Mediterranean countries with lowest av. income. In Greece, Portugal, Spain, folks make around 1-1.2K so much less than other EU countries and still, they dive a LOT because the Turquoise waters of our seas are beautiful, warm and easy to access.

Now that I live in Germany and make 5 times that, diving is almost impossible unless you like cold, low-vis lakes.

That's for the US, not the World.

In any case, talking USA only, it seems that around 20% of the population belongs to the above average and high income segments, that equals to approx. 60M Americans. I believe those folks could be divers as income is obviously not an issue but we know that the MORE you make, the less TIME you have :wink:

I still think that the more complicated life becomes, we need to prioritize were to focus our free time.
When I got certified I practically had no money but I also had no kids, no wife, no other expensive toys...

IF the original question was: Why no NEW & YOUNG divers join the sport, things would change and yes, income would be an important factor.

Personal experience and common sense. The folks I encounter at pick-up hoops, like I said, all they need to participate in this hobby is a pair of sneakers - and alot of those sneaks are in bad shape. The folks I see hiking dont seem to be carrying expensive equipment either - I dont see alot of cameras or binoculars, just folks taking in the great outdoors. I wont bother to google it, but I'll assume there are way more hoopers & hikers than scuba divers out there.

If you want data, the median household income in the US was $67,000 in 2020. Most folks in the US are barely scraping by. Compare that to the demographic info CuzzA posted about OW students, who have more disposable income. I can tell you that when I was younger and poorer - comparable to the median US income - getting into scuba was cost prohibitive. Hoops, hiking and biking was more accessible. Only when I started making more $$ did scuba become more viable for me.

Maybe its different in other countries, but I doubt it.
I wish to apologize as I was referring to Trekking and not Hiking. If you want to do a day trip and have a little snack on the way, sure. A pair of old sneakers work.
However, if you wish to Trek in the French Alps for 4 days and reach some summit (without climbing equipment) then you do need to factor a few things like your Age & Conditioning*, Clothing, Footwear, Altitude, Terrain, Weather, Safety, Shelter, Sleep System, Cook System, Navigation, etc. WEIGHT is the main factor (after your Age and Physical Condition). Cost quickly adds up, especially the lighter you go... The fact that you don't see cameras and binoculars might be because the majority of the people you've encountered aren't photographers and their cellphones are enough for the casual snapshot. In many cases, a good camera and tripod can go really heavy so that means additional expenses for lighter and more portable gear.

EVERY hobby, when taken seriously, can become VERY expensive.

Going back to the original topic, I think we need to break down this DIVING situation like this (besides cultural and geographical peculiarities). Of course this is MY opinion based on MY experience in MY country.

1. VERY YOUNG divers (10-20) = initiated / subsidized by parents
2. YOUNG divers (20-25) = COST is an important factor. Compete with iPhones and other hobbies
3. MIDDLE aged divers (25-35) = COST could be a factor (depending on income like always) but Fear, lack of buddies, location, etc are the most important factors
4. 'MATURE' divers (35 - 55) = COST is not the main factor. TIME, FAMILY, location, etc are the most important factors
5. 'SEASONED' divers (> 60) = COST is not the main factor. Health, Location and family are.

I am 49 so I've been through the initial stages. At the end of the day, COST is always a factor when starting up and heavily depending on your income level. However, for ALL of us in this forum, COST was NOT the main issue. COOLNESS, EXCITEMENT, ADVENTURE, FUN, etc. by FAR outweighed any costs :)

The problem today IMO is that YOUNG people is getting LAZY and attached to their Cellphones and Computers. In my gym, there are further middle age and old folks than youngsters. The same happens with motorcycles and every other sport. Young guys stay inside watching YouTube, Tik Tok, SnapChat, etc.

For me it was cost (close to $5000 before I ever got in the water) and concern about the inability to find anyone to dive with. I know a number of people who are interested in getting into the sport, but only one who can make that kind of financial commitment to it.

I'm also finding in very difficult to find people into the sorts of sites I am and will sooner or later have to choose between going solo or not going at all.

and concern about the inability to find anyone to dive with.
Some in the scuba industry may have made an ill-advised choice to poison the waters against solo diving by pushing the buddy model hard from the git-go, to the extent that buddy diving is practically presumed.

Some people want to do their own thing. Some don't want to be liable for someone else. Some don't have ready availability of a preferred buddy (e.g.: spouse, offspring or close friend), and dislike the social awkwardness and variability of 'insta-buddies.' Especially in an endeavor where you literally can't talk to each other once underway in an alien environment.

It's a hard enough sell to convince someone to spend at least several hundred to get certified for participation in a sport where the most popular outlet (high viz., warm water coral reef or 'big animal' diving in benign conditions) tends to involve a few to several grand/year cost for active participation. People early in their careers, or married to non-divers and/or with kids are apt to balk at that. Plus it may tie up some of one's precious and limited vacation time from work (in this day and age, your parents and in-laws may live way off; there's an opportunity cost to a week-long dive trip). For people who don't live near good diving, it's hundreds or thousands of miles away.

On top of all that, either your spouse must share your passion and be certified (racking up more costs), or you just happen to have a friend who does and pays his own way...or you're stuck with some random stranger as 'insta-buddy,' and if he has a heart attack attack while you're not looking at him and drifts off, when the boat staff, authorities and ScubaBoard members in the Accidents & Incidents thread learn of it, one of the first questions will be 'Where was the buddy?'

And people aren't beating down the door to get into our hobby?!?!?o_O

Maybe instead of tolerating solo diving as the marginal insistence of deviants, the industry ought to promote it as a desirable goal for many divers. Not everyone wants to dive solo, but maybe don't poison people against it?

After all, if you want to promote recreational diving as a safe sport, telling people don't dare dive alone, it's too dangerous, sends a mixed message.

All of this talk about the prohibitive costs of scuba, affecting its popularity -- and, as some have already claimed, the expenditure of thousands of dollars, before even getting wet, is alien to me.

I was able to fund my initial foray into diving, on my own, as a teenager, with a pissant Summer job, working as a line cook, for minimum wage -- about US 2.65 per hour, at that time, in the late 1970s (to this day, I cannot stomach Hollandaise Sauce; made that crap by the gallon).

Picked up a used regulator from a local shop, which I still have in my collection; a used wetsuit from a newspaper classifieds; cheap-o accessories from a local flea market; and rented tanks with a well-worn fifty dollar bill, which I kept and did not spend, that entire Summer, for the frequent deposits.

I was fortunate enough to live in a seaside town, though with scheiß visibility; but a number of friends and colleagues did much the same as I did, as a kid -- near lakes and rivers, or whatever body of water was at hand.

Even adjusted for inflation, I spent less than what many do for a soon-to-be obsolete phone nowadays; that, or a pair of fancy Nikes . . .

That's for the US, not the World.

In any case, talking USA only, it seems that around 20% of the population belongs to the above average and high income segments, that equals to approx. 60M Americans. I believe those folks could be divers as income is obviously not an issue but we know that the MORE you make, the less TIME you have :wink:

I still think that the more complicated life becomes, we need to prioritize were to focus our free time.
When I got certified I practically had no money but I also had no kids, no wife, no other expensive toys...

IF the original question was: Why no NEW & YOUNG divers join the sport, things would change and yes, income would be an important factor.
Yes, but having less time because you make more means you have less time for all hobbies, not just scuba. I think the idea of the thread is why there are fewer scuba divers say than skiers, or basketball players.
A side note is when I was assisting on OW courses, the vast majority of students were maybe between 18 & 28-- but that could be a local thing.

Even adjusted for inflation, I spent less than what many do for a f**king phone nowadays . . .
That's a good point. It's probably not so much an issue of affordability, but more of a prioritization. We know that phones these days are high on the priority list.

As far as hobbies go, diving can be expensive. If it's important enough, the participant will find a way to make it happen. It requires a bit more preparation than a lot of other outdoor activities.

For example, just about anyone can go out and rent a kayak, personal watercraft, or boat. Depending on the location, there may or may not be a training requirement. If there is, it's usually pretty short. So the participant can likely go from decide to doing in a very short time. The longer time commitment for diving can be a hindrance to the casually interested.

All of this talk about the prohibitive costs of scuba, affecting its popularity -- and, as some have already claimed, the expenditure of thousands of dollars, before getting wet, is alien to me.

I was able to fund my initial foray into diving, on my own, as a teenager, with a pissant Summer job, working as a line cook, for minimum wage -- about US 2.65 per hour, at that time -- in the late 1970s (to this day, I cannot stomach Hollandaise Sauce; made that crap by the gallon).

Picked up a used regulator from a local shop, which I still have in my collection; a used wetsuit from a newspaper classifieds; cheap-o accessories from a local flea market; and rented tanks with a well-worn fifty dollar bill, which I kept and did not spend, that Summer, for the frequent deposits.

Even adjusted for inflation, I spent less than what many do for a soon-to-be obsolete phone nowadays; that, or a pair of fancy Nikes . . .
This was a point of frustration for me. I am a big guy (6' 1" and 340 lbs) and when I went in to talk to the LDS where I eventually did my training they said "There is no way we have anything in rentals that will fit you". In order to take the class I had to buy a wetsuit ($400), BCD ($1600) Hood ($100) Mask, snorkel, fins gloves, boots etc ($700), prescription inserts for the mask ($250), plus the online learning package ($150) and pay for the class itself ($1000). "Due to insurance requirements" all gear for the class must be purchased or rented from them, etc etc. I definitely feel like there was a perception that because i chose the private lessons over the group that I was a "whale" with lots of money to spend, but this is not the case. in my mind I was spending the extra be able to ask all the questions I wanted to and to not have my training limited to the pace of the slowest person in class. To be honest, I still feel like I was a bit taken advantage of and that impacted my trust with the instructor.

Going forward I would rather find an instructor who is NOT affiliated with a dive shop and has no interest in where I buy my gear, but I don't know if they even exist.

Back
Top Bottom