What is the fundamental reason that prevents scuba diving from becoming popular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cost may be a factor, but is the $100-150k threshold in the survey for NEW divers seeking certification?
Good point. It's for entry level divers (just OW), but maybe not NEW divers.

I'm not saying cost is a prohibitive factor for all. I certainly couldn't really afford to dive when I first got my OW cert (High School student), or when I got another OW cert and actually learned to dive (College student). I never rented gear either. So, it's just whether the cost of entry is worth it to the individual. It was for me.

The demographics of open water entry level divers from DEMA for 2018.

These are great stats, thanks for sharing!

Keeping my personal observations separate, my interpretation from the stats is, that cost is indeed a factor for new folks seeking OW certification. Considering the median annual household income is around $70k, this implies an under-representation of the average household, and an over-representation of the above-average income person.

True, really the ones who can answer that are the ones who want to dive but haven't taken the plunge, and I don't think we'll find many of them on this site. Cost may be a bigger factor in them. The significantly higher than median income does at least appear to support that those people have a bit more disposable income to support this hobby. Not always the case, I know. People of all income levels can have a lifestyle that is above their means.

It does have a higher cost of entry than many other outdoor activities, though probably not the highest. Hiking, fishing, kayaking are all activities that you can get started with with a much lower initial investment. I do those as well, but if I had to give up all but one, I'd keep diving. When I'm out on the water for other activities, I find I really want to get underwater.

Agreed on the renting when starting out, but that presents another barrier. Now, I need to plan farther ahead. I need to make sure I can reserve a set of gear and tanks, get to the shop the evening before (for morning dives), and also plan to return the gear the next day. When owning, you have quite a bit more leeway on that. My cylinders are all currently full, and ready to go.

Yes, the renting does present that other barrier. I solved that renting tanks when we snowbirded to FL for 3 months-- I paid them a little more and they let me treat their shop tank(s) like I owned them (bring them back to exchange for another when you feel like it). But they knew me there for years.
Kayaking-- Doesn't one really have to buy one's own kayak? How much is that compared to starting scuba?

Kayaking-- Doesn't one really have to buy one's own kayak? How much is that compared to starting scuba?
No. Plenty of places down here rent kayaks. And if you do buy one, you don’t need to spend a ton. Plus, there isn’t really any regular maintenance. Plus, no certification requirement to use one.

When I was contemplating certification a quarter century ago, cost was very much a concern. It was not just the initial investment. I thought about the cost of continuing the sport after being certified. I finally bit the bullet when I was taking a vacation trip to a diving location, with the real impetus being that I am just not a sit-on-the-beach-for-hours kind of guy. I could have gotten certified by doing the initial work locally and finishing up during the trip, but I chose to do it all on the trip because it was cheaper.

If you buy a brand new beginning level kayak, it will cost less than a cheap BCD. A very good one will be a little more than a top-of-the-line BCD. The cost of a tandem kayak (two people) is about the cost of a single BCD.

If you buy a brand new beginning level kayak, it will cost less than a cheap BCD. A very good one will be a little more than a top-of-the-line BCD. The cost of a tandem kayak (two people) is about the cost of a single BCD.
Thanks. I had no idea they were that inexpensive.

Thanks. I had no idea they were that inexpensive.
Oh, without a doubt, they can get nuts. Like in the several thousand dollars range. We have a pair of tandems that cost a little over $500 each.

Back
Top Bottom