What is the danger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made it! By the point I had made a decision it was too late to rent a tank so I used the one at the facility. I was as cautious as I could be and am fine (unless something inside me is exploding and I can't feel it). In the future I will absolutely not risk it and am disappointed in myself for not taking a stand but I'm sure you guys were worried about me and checking news updates by the minute so I wanted to put your minds at ease. Thank you guys very much for the advice though and I will certainly not be so cavalier in the future.

So are you looking for another job now? Personally, I don't think I could work for a boss that cared that little about my personal safety.

So are you looking for another job now? Personally, I don't think I could work for a boss that cared that little about my personal safety.

His wife(if he was married) probably wasn't too worried either, she thought she could live very comfortably on a couple'a mill.....To the OP, get another boss......

Of course one could analyze the gas. Has anyone tried testing the O2 in an old unused tank? I suspect by the time the tank got corroded enough to reduce O2 to hypoxic levels it would have burst due to metal fatigue. More than likely the air would be fine but I agree with the others. Why take a chance.

i was at a LDS the other day getting a fill and a man came in with a used unmarked tank he had just bought and wanted to analyze the air, it turned out to be pure o2. good thing he didnt try to take it down to the deep end of the pool.

You're diving a pool, you say? I would dive the old tank. If anything goes wrong, it won't phase you, or if it does, it might be time for a refresher!
:wink:

Edit: I missed the part talking about how it wasn't clear there could be any gas other than air inside the cylinder. In that case, of course, you shouldn't take a chance.

In the Fire Service we have a saying (perhaps you have it in your corner of the world as well): If there's little to be gained, little should be risked.

I'm a bit surprised at the number of folks who seem to have no problem at all with the concept of diving on a tank with unknown contents...even if it's just a "pool dive." In my professional experience, people can die in a swimming pool just as easy as in an open body of water. It's also erroneous to assume that a cylinder would fail before the oxygen content fell to a point that would not sustain life.

Coll, glad your experience went ok. At the risk of sounding harsh, the judgement exercised in this decision is, in my humble and unsolicited opinion, questionable. Just because "his boss said to" wouldn't comfort your family or care for that adorable dog of yours if something untoward had occurred. An unrelated question: Does your employer's insurance cover diving activities in the workplace? I can't be certain, but had something happened, investigators may well have heaped a substantial portion of the responsibility for the incident on you for being usure about the tank but using it anyway.

Risk vs Benefit: It's an analysis that can keep you alive.

Dive safe and see you down there.

Sounds like it was 21 % nitrox. I understand that by breathing 10 year old air it will make you ten years younger.

It is risky breathing an unknown gas. Most times you will be OK but that doesn't make it worth it.

now why would you bother to ask here for advise regarding your well being and safety if you aren't going to listen to the advise? kinda a waste of time for all involved.

Firstly and as always, thank you all for your advice as it has always been beneficial to me. As for Codyjp's response, I apologize if you feel like I wasted your time. If it had been an option I would have rented a tank or gotten one from a friend but by the time I made the decision to do so, it was too late. In the situation, an animals life was potentially at risk which is what made me do the dive, not because my boss told me to. We only learn from our mistakes and I made one and got away with it. You can all be assured that I won't spin this particular cylinder ever again. (That was supposed to be a Russian roulette reference but I realized that it is actually quite a witty pun!)

an animal? now your decision is making a bit more sense. but we now have to hear this story it sounds good! so, lets hear it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom