What is the craziest "specialty" you have heard of that you know is actually real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect PADI staff realized that, if the 'minimum' depth for the Deep Dive (aka Dive One in the Deep Diver specialty) was only 60 feet, the likelihood of meaningful narcosis developing was limited. So, for the past decade or more, the primary task has been color recognition. And, colors do change sufficiently at 60 feet to make the task meaningful.

I suspect you realize there were invisible [sarcasm] tags around that, precisely for that reason. I also suspect colour recognition is indeed a more useful exercise, although I can think of a couple of dives that didn't look as blue at 30 metres as a reef wall usually does at 20. And I've no idea what 60 feet in fresh water looks like: midnight green?

I don't think there has ever been any implication that you can get rid of the impairments by diving that depth regularly.

I wouldn't know, but if it's anything like alcohol, you can get used to functioning, somewhat, while impaired. Up to a point and only on good days, and YMMV, but still.

After seeing a guy in Bonaire, I was going to submit a specialty certification for naked diver for approval. It would be especially popular at Hedonism.

I changed my mind when I realized how dangerous it would be and remembered that I might have to actually have to demonstrate the skills.

Take care not to tangle your DSMB when launching.

You can get the PADI Master Scuba Diver with:
  • Zombie Apocalypse Diver
  • Eclipse Diver
  • Underwater Pumpkin Carving
  • Volcano Diver Specialty
  • Missile Silo Diver Course
If I had more money and time, some of them seem a bit fun :) (not discussing here whether MSD is a real rating, this isn't the topic)

I wouldn't know, but if it's anything like alcohol, you can get used to functioning, somewhat, while impaired. Up to a point and only on good days, and YMMV, but still.
Getting "used to" and getting "rid of" are very different

You can get the PADI Master Scuba Diver with:
  • Zombie Apocalypse Diver
  • Eclipse Diver
  • Underwater Pumpkin Carving
  • Volcano Diver Specialty
  • Missile Silo Diver Course
If I had more money and time, some of them seem a bit fun :) (not discussing here whether MSD is a real rating, this isn't the topic)
See and that is a problem with the varying agencies. I got my master diver with NAUI years ago and it has nothing to do with prior C cards or courses taken. It is purely an academic cert. I had to read and understand mathematics, physics, and physiology then take a test on it. It was tough. The few times I mentioned I was a master diver I was almost laughed at. Now that card and my dive master card just stay at home.

Getting "used to" and getting "rid of" are very different

Well I think it's a dead giveaway that the course title says "management", not "elimination".

See and that is a problem with the varying agencies. I got my master diver with NAUI years ago and it has nothing to do with prior C cards or courses taken. It is purely an academic cert. I had to read and understand mathematics, physics, and physiology then take a test on it. It was tough. The few times I mentioned I was a master diver I was almost laughed at. Now that card and my dive master card just stay at home.
I hear yah--the old PADI vs. NAUI Master Diver (or aka theory component of PADI DM course vs. NAUI MSD). I got my PADI MSD years ago and found out one important thing---The time to wear your cap with the MSD patch on it is around people who are NOT divers. "You're not REALLY a Master Scuba Diver are you?!!" Why, yes, I am.....

Back
Top Bottom