What is the context of your FIN preferences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to like the original Jet fins but when it came time to replace them the new version had a different foot pocket. I like the OMS slipstream for warm water. For drysuit diving I like the Hollis F1. I think they kick about the same as the slipstreams but are more negative, which I need with 1 lb. ankle weights in the cold water gear. I don't usually do a lot of serious kicking. I'm more of a drift and flick diver. I use a modified frog kick due to limitations in my flexibility. Maybe I should get back to doing yoga. When I do need to push against a current or something like like to have the power available. My choices work for me.

One of the biggest "aha" moments of diver intuitiveness is learning how to fin effectively for your fin.
If you kick the exact same frequency with any fin you wear, you're going to be very opinionated on which fins "suck" and which do well.

Tiny rinky-dink swimming fins are light and either
A) Long & floppy
B) Short and stiff
If you flutter quickly in them you swim fast. If you kick very long strides in them with a delay period between each kick you move nowhere.

Jet fins on the other extreme you want long strided kicks. Short rinky-dink finning is going to get you nowhere and cramp your legs. This is why frog-kicking is utilized stereotypical with Jet-finning. Whereas with other fins you see flutters predominately used. You can still flutter with Jets, however the kick style is more long strided with pauses between each power kick to let yourself glide. Jet fin flutter kicks should have follow through with their kicks. Whereas floppy paddles you kinda want to recoil immediately into follow up kicks.

Hinged, Splits, & Force fins all do very well with quick flutters, with varying degrees of frequency between kicks.
Paddle fins are pretty much all over the board because they exhibit a more varying degree of floppyness/stiffness between brand/models.

Look at sea otters, sea lions, & seals swimming. They often do one power stroke and let their momentum glide through the water. Obviously divers have way more drag but we too can utilize this with stiffer fins.
On the other hand, damsel fish, reef fish, fish that aren't built for speed; they have have floppy fins and need to vigorously fin rinky-dinky to shoot away. So if your fin is like that then you too need to do the same to travel.
Wow, comments that match my thinking,,,IWe also make several other brands for diving skill levels and needs..Like to keep from being piegon hole with one design, the orginail Force Fin 1983. SCUBA – Force Fin Thank you. Bob

Back
Top Bottom