What is the best way to increase thermal protection of a semi-dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably have room for a 3mm vest, won't the woollen socks get heavy when wet? I have some thick hiking socks but doubt i could squeeze them in the boot. Never heard of the packs will look into it too thanks.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2014 at 07:49 PM ----------

Maybe something like this? Henderson 3mm Thermoprene Zippered Wetsuit Vest A130MF with reviews at scuba.com

Thick wool socks, do an incredible job of keeping your feet warmer, if there is room in the boot, It makes it a little slippery to walk over very rough terrain, because the boot will slide over the sock a little. But it is a minor issue, unless scrambling over rocks.

Put the sock on, but the boot over it, put a fin on and watch tv for 30 minutes. If you foot does not cramp or cause you problems, it will probably work... costs nothing..

no zippers to leak or bother you

2/1mm Men's Body Glove FUSION Neoprene Pullover Vest | Wetsuit Wearhouse

Thanks i will try that out, that body glove vest looks even better!

I wear wool socks all the time when diving wet since I'm always cold. It's a great piece of advice - new divers always look at me like I'm crazy when they see me walking around with socks and a bathing suit on while getting geared up!

Try a 3mm core warmer. Then pour hot/warm water into your suit just before going in. Big difference.

When I dive wet, in NY / NY, bottom temps around 40-45 in May, June & July, I use a Hollis a semi Dry, with a Lavacore liner. I have the pants and the hooded long sleeve shirt. These add perfect warmth under a semi dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a Hollis a semi Dry, with a Lavacore liner. I have the pants and the hooded long sleeve shirt. These add perfect warmth under a semi dry.

A vest like this might also do the trick, the idea is just to extended my diving season for a month. Mens Vest

I wasn't saying the specific lavacore I use would be right for you - more just touting the material. It's great stuff, and when I go on vacation I bring just that - and I'm warm in 70* water. I think it works really well with semi dry since your water exchange is minimized, the fleece lining really adds loft and warmth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom