What is the best scuba diving novel you've ever read?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Diving the wrecks and Shores of Long Island, NY.

It is basically a 340 page dive journal written by David Rosenthal that covers his successes, his failures, and everything in between. It is an enjoyable read for the experienced diver and could be a very nice resource for someone just starting out and doesn't know what it is exactly like to dive on their own. A lot of the things he writes about are things that can't be adequately described in a course book.

I also enjoyed Shadow Divers more than The Last Dive.

Anything by Gary Gentile must rate as outstanding fiction...

Anything by Gary Gentile must rate as outstanding fiction...

Well, fiction at any rate.

Gary has some decent actual fiction. I've only read a couple of them but they were enjoyable. Not what I would call scuba novels though more sci fi. I have tried to find good actual novels with diving as a central theme and while Cussler has some good stuff they are not really scuba novels. Some of the Alistair McLean stuff from years ago was diving related.

As much as I have looked I have not found one good, factual as far as diving science, and not written by someone who clearly knows nothing about diving novel. I am not sure that one even exists.

It does give me an idea though.............................................................................

Of dozens of novels related to scuba that have graced or are still on my book shelf,

Jacob's Well by Stephen Harrigan published in 1984
Followed by in no particular order
Twelve Mile Limit Randy Wayne White
Ice-Water Mansions by Doug Allyn (part of a series
Any of the Aristotle Socarides series of mysteries by Paul Kemprecos
The Diamond Hunters--Wilbur Smith
Pirate Hunter by Tom Morrisey
The Eye of the Tiger--Wilbur Smith
Gallows in the Sand--Morris West
There are many others

First novels
Mercy of the Elements

I liked Shadow Divers very much, but Night Diver (by Elizabeth Lowell) turned out to be a pageturner for me.

Hmmm... when I'm not SCUBA diving or editing my underwater video, I try to "escape" reality by reading anything but diving (although several of the characters in the books I've read were SCUBA divers, but mainly incidental to the world they were doing in the book

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom