What is the best Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What type of dives do you do?

How often do you dive?

That is the key. We need to make the "rebreather worth it?" spreadsheet so you could plug in the different variables.

I'm just bitter right now. As we speak I am soldering in an old COPIS handset after ripping out the other stuff. No mas! (I do have one of the Hammerhead drop ins which is quite nice.)

The evo's and Kiss's look very nice for travel and I'd love to get a shaved Mini meg canister and scrubber, or make a plastic one for travel.

What's the typical run time/number of dives per fill? Does depth play into that at all?

Depth doesn't play too much into it....

I have Worthington 19cuft tanks and I average 500psi/hour on the O2 side... So, 5 hours + margin.

I agree with many of the responses. What you need in a rebreather for saturation bailout isn't the same as you require on a shallow wreck. It's all about your particular requirements, how you want to dive, preference and the amount of disposable income you want to part with. If you want to dive at 20 feet and look at fish, the best rebreather may be no rebreather at all. It depends upon your expectations.

I agree with many of the responses. What you need in a rebreather for saturation bailout isn't the same as you require on a shallow wreck. It's all about your particular requirements, how you want to dive, preference and the amount of disposable income you want to part with. If you want to dive at 20 feet and look at fish, the best rebreather may be no rebreather at all. It depends upon your expectations.

Maybe 30-50', since if your whole dive is shallowed than 20' then an simple O2 rebreather could do the trick! :)

What's the typical run time/number of dives per fill? Does depth play into that at all?
While depth does not play a role on your gas consumption (or little on the diluent side), the limiting factor of most units is the sorb. Most manufactures are giving around 3h on one fill.

ok, so it would need to be filled a couple times an a vacation then. Do you bring your own or are resorts able to do that?

Some resorts are rebreather friendly and provide you with rebreather tanks, proper O2 fills and sorb (albeit at a cost). If you have to bring your own, then it can get quite expensive - two weeks diving and you can easily look at 35kg of sorb.

ok, so it would need to be filled a couple times an a vacation then. Do you bring your own or are resorts able to do that?

Depends... some places, like DiveTech in Grand Cayman cater to the RB crowd....
It used to be you had to bring your own.... I checked an entire jug for a trip to Bonaire w/o hassle.

What is the best Rebreather?

The one that YOU are most comfortable with...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom