What is the best Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ept44

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering for future references:confused::D:mooner:

Interesting question. If there are N rebreathers on the market, I suspect that you will get N+1 answers (including having no rebreather is the best rebreather).

Would the OP consider a friendly amendment to the OP query? How about "what is the best rebreather for a recreational diver?" Much like nitrox (formerly known as devil's gas) used to be the domain of tech divers but is now used by OW-certified divers (whether they need it or not), I think that rebreathers will hit the mainstream in my lifetime. Is there currently a model that is so well instrumented and so completely redundant in it sensors and so easy to service that a recreational diver can learn to use with the same amount of effort that it takes to get a Nitrox card?

There is no "best" rebreather. Different rebreathers accomplish similar things in different ways. Deciding what rebreather is best for you requires you to know what you hope to get out of one. Does it need to travel well? Electronic, or manual? Are you looking for state of the art, or built like a tank?

You really need to sit down and identify your goals and needs then make a list of what rebreathers fit those needs. Then you can start narrowing the field down to where you can make an informed decision.

What's "best" for me, might be a trainwreck for you.

The best rebreather has not been built yet, so we are all struggeling with the respective shortcomings of our units. Better O2 cells and reliable CO2 measurement would be great.

I've been looking into rebreathers for a while and everyone on rebreatherworld has a different yet valid opinion. Here are just a few of my thoughts:

The inspiration/evolutions have the largest numbers and have been around the longest. The availability of spare parts is therefore a plus.

The megalodon is built like a tank and is very customizable. A favorite of many cave divers.

The sentinel apparently makes the most efficient use of the scrubber and has superb electronics as well as a CO2 monitor.

The ouroboros, while heavy and bulky is built like a tank, has support from delta P and is designed for very deep diving should you go that route. This is also the most expensive unit on the market.

The revo is an interesting rebreather with dual scrubbers.

I haven't even gone into manual CCRs. These are often favored by photographers. Others might chime in and point out that their mCCRs are the best ever and that they have better safety records than electronic CCRs.

There are other rebreathers that are without a doubt excellent in their design and have other features that I have not mentioned. Each has its good and bad points, just like a car. A ferrari is good for some types of driving, but not off road. A jeep is good for off road but not great for cross-country driving. Etc.

I'm not going to go into the radial versus axial debate as the efficiency and work of breathing depends more on the airflow dynamics of the particular unit than whether it is axial or radial.

From what I can ascertain, most fatalities resulting from diving rebreathers are caused by diver error. There are also some fatalities caused by health issues or simple diving issues where the diver happened to be using a rebreather.

the best rebreather is the one that is best matched to your needs and tendencies. I highly recommend going to a try out and getting a feel for as many as you can.

they all require a great deal of attentiveness to dive safely. Fun can be had on pretty much all of them!
g

How about "what is the best rebreather for a recreational diver?" Much like nitrox (formerly known as devil's gas) used to be the domain of tech divers but is now used by OW-certified divers (whether they need it or not), I think that rebreathers will hit the mainstream in my lifetime. Is there currently a model that is so well instrumented and so completely redundant in it sensors and so easy to service that a recreational diver can learn to use with the same amount of effort that it takes to get a Nitrox card?
This one? (I don't have a clue...)

Attachments

• poseidon-start.jpg
    poseidon-start.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 723
I personally like the rEvo. I like it for its simplicity, sorb canisters, back mounted counter lungs and low profile.

To me it is far superior to other rebreathers, but that is just me. Each person will want something different in and from their rebreather.

What type of dives do you do?

How often do you dive?

Most of the commercially available units are all good. There is no 'best' among them.

Back
Top Bottom