What is the Best Dive Reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My vote goes to Kent Tooling Diving Products Reels

:wink: Resurrects 8 year old thread to pitch reel.

I learned on one of those old Dive Rites, but just got a delrin Light Monkey that I think I'll like much more.

NOT THE CHEAP PLASTIC ONES!

As most new divers do, when we first started we bought some $35 plastic reels thinking they would be fine. The first dive we did, rolled in and when we got back found the handle and part of the reel broken off. Scratch one reel. A few weeks later same deal except when we got back the other was missing (plastic clip point broke off probably on rolling in). Scratch reel 2.

Then we had 2 finger spools for a long time but they didn't meet the requirement for tech diving so bought 2 Dive Rite reels. Handle fell off one on first dive but due to not being assembled properly in the LDS (but was replaced by Dive Rite without a problem). Now I use Dive Rite and finger spool and find the combination good.
Don't talk to me about reels......................Oh reely? :dork2:

Salvo/Light Monkey are good, and turn smoother than my Halcyon, but I gotta say the AL handle on the Halcyon just feels better than the all-derlin reel.

Still after over 10 years have yet to have a major problem with my OMS reel. I also love my Salvo jump reels.

I've been using a Light Monkey side-handle for a while, it's a very nice penetration reel. Before that, for over a decade, I used a steel and delrin Custom Divers reel, also good - but top handle less optimum for line-laying with a light/goodman handle.

For what it's worth, I've banned DiveRite Primary and Cavern/Safety reels (top handle) from my advanced/technical wreck courses. I've seen divers bird-nest them on nearly every dive. One got so frustrated he nearly threw his off the boat. Enough was enough.

I am with Devondiver...I have seen more DR reels fail than any other. Once coming out of Ginnie, a friend was able to screw it up so bad that it took us about 3 hours on the surface to unscrew it. Also, don't even ask about the set screw falling out or the reel drum cracking.

My opinion Manta are good reels. I have used other brands that don't have the line release mechanism that Manta offers and found the likely hood of fouling to be much higher. Here is the Northeast most of our diving is line diving so my Mantas get a bit of work and I have never had one foul on me where I didn't do something stupid with it.

Comes down to personal preference....I have Ralph Hood, Light Monkey, Hollis, Reefscuba ( who were kind enough to customize my reels for me ) and Spectrum.....I have them in small 'jump' reels and 1000 footers.....I use different ones for different environments and situations.....Line comes in different colors too......I use the orange most often.........But find what works best for you........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom