What is the best color?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask a rescue chopper pilot what color is best spotted on the surface of the ocean from the air...

My guess would be bright orange, yellow or Lime green. (the lime green might blend in on some waters though.)

but that is my though also, what is best seen by rescue personel and also by other boaters who are coming too close and didn't initially see you.

Dana, are your eyes failing on you, or your memory? My yak is hunter/blaze orange!
"yum yum yellow" is a nickname navy sailors gave to the mae west vest after biologist determined that sharks can see colors and yellow was the preferred color for them. I haven't noticed any special interest in my yak by fish.

This shark likes yellow kayaks... (no this pic wasn't photo-shopped. it was in national geographic and is real.)

shark-kayak.jpg

:lol:Rut Roh!!!!

If I yak dove in waters where sharks of that size came to the surface to follow me around I'd start bringing small depth charges or mount a MiniGun on the foredeck. Actually I guess the classic answer is a Aluminum tank and the M1 Garand!--

Thanks for all of the great replies.

I decided to go with Yum-Yum Yellow for the new boat.

'Just need to find a matching wetsuit!

If the ladies can't persuade me to wear a pink dress shirt, no way I'm going to strap on one of those! But have you seen the new camo wetsuits? That I could be talked into.

Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom