What is safer overall, recreational diving or snowmobiling??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being that both of these are in my top 3 most addictive hobbies (flying is #1) how would you compare the safety overall of snowmobiling to rec diving---lets say no deeper than 80-100 feet and always in open water where you can ascend directly to the surface.

What kind of snowmobile? :D

R..

To make any comparison of value, one cannot only compare the statistics of others. The real question that must first be answered is 'How do you undertake these activities?'

I'd suggest that one of the least dangerous things to do is to sit at home on the coach. One of the most dangerous things might be sitting in the middle of a high-speed highway on the coach. It's not the activity, but the location, attitude, training, etc. that a person has while doing it that presents the danger.

Clearly both activities can be dangerous (Divers and snowmobilers die every year). Statistics mean little to those that do and people don't die that statistically may have a higher risk. Whatever you do, do it within your safety envelope. There are never any guarantees...

This hits the nail on the head--obviously. And I think all agree that a lot of statistics are pretty much meaningless. I only voted that scuba is more dangerous because there's no air to breathe other than your tank. Not unlike my comparison of flying to driving. Yes, you are statistically way more at risk of dying on the highway than in the plane. But if the plane goes down, there is nothing you can do. Except in high speed head on car collisions, you probably have some option to avoid the other car. If you are inside a wreck (particularly solo diving) and screwed up your gas planning, you're pretty much done for. Same with other stuff likke severe equipment malfunctions or entanglement. If a determined great white is after you, it's lights out. Much rarer than snowmobile accidents/deaths, but there is air up here (and no sharks). I know, way more die from dog attacks and falling coconuts, but there are way more people near dogs than sharks and you don't have to sit under a palm tree.

Back
Top Bottom