What is "recreational" rebreather, and any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best UW photographer in my part of the world used to dive rebreathers as well. We all know how that turned out.
I don't.

The “shot” can never be so important that you forget about your anesthesia machine on your back. And bailout getting in the way of the camera is a dumb reason to dive without it.

I worry more about photographers on CCR than anyone else. I feel the likelyhood of taskloading overpowering basic safety is greatest with a big ass camera in hand.
You won't see me arguing that, but as I already said, that's quite another can of worms.

That's not really recreational, I was more thinking of people who never go past their mod1 training.

Ok, so then all the things I listed apart from the deco bottles. But even when I was mod 1, I sure enjoyed those two hour NDL dives at 60 feet....

The term recreational rebreather was a marketing ploy. Any rebreather you can name uses basically the same principal of operation, has the same types of pitfalls and is extremely intolerant of lackadaisical divers as the accident list attests to. Recreational, technical, whatever, it's the same animal. Just buy a good solid rebreather with a good solid track record (10 years in the business is a good indicator) and learn to dive it. Do your maintenance, checklists, and training and you will do well. One piece of dive gear I consistently say I'm glad I bought was my megalodon rebreather. Best piece of kit I've ever owned.

SF2 and Divesoft are in Florida as well.

I worry more about photographers on CCR than anyone else. I feel the likelyhood of taskloading overpowering basic safety is greatest with a big ass camera in hand.

I've been working on a mental outline for an article on this topic. Two former students of mine along with a friend of theirs got lost in a cave last summer because they were busy ******* around with a camera and there was a recent double fatality in Mexico that cameras may have played a part in.

Meanwhile, people keep posting pretty pictures on social media that everyone wants to emulate.

I've been working on a mental outline for an article on this topic. Two former students of mine along with a friend of theirs got lost in a cave last summer because they were busy ******* around with a camera and there was a recent double fatality in Mexico that cameras may have played a part in.

Meanwhile, people keep posting pretty pictures on social media that everyone wants to emulate.
My buddy and I left a camera on the line last week on the way in to a new-to-us cave. Faffing about with a camera < actually cave diving.

This has been a great thread. I've learned quite a bit from the great posts by various people.
Its a serious topic and one that deserves more attention as some agencies push for rebreathers in divers who are new and not yet comfortable/capable after certification.

Two former students of mine along with a friend of theirs got lost in a cave last summer because they were busy ******* around with a camera and there was a recent double fatality in Mexico that cameras may have played a part in.

I think a level of awareness has to be added when in a cave as well. Adding a “navigator” who’s sole responsibility is stopping the stupidity chain would be beneficial.

If it’s a new cave, and you really want to document it on video...go hands free. You will get some raw video, with places that you know you can get good pics later...and you won’t even be conscious of the camera.

I think a level of awareness has to be added when in a cave as well. Adding a “navigator” who’s sole responsibility is stopping the stupidity chain would be beneficial.

If it’s a new cave, and you really want to document it on video...go hands free. You will get some raw video, with places that you know you can get good pics later...and you won’t even be conscious of the camera.

I don't disagree. The sad thing is I told the photographer the same thing a year earlier when he mentioned wanting to photograph some caverns. But once the dedicated navigator turned into a model, their collective brains shut down. Thankfully, that story ended OK, but it could have been bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom